Oliver + S

how much ease on patterns – sail boat top

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • LINK
    katy @katyN

Hello,
    I’ve recently bought my first oliver +s pattern.. the sail boat set. I made a sail boat top for my little chap and it’s really tight on him.
    He’s quite a small 3.5 year old and I measured him up and he was right for a size 4. but when it was made up it was really tight across his tummy and the sleeves stop above his wrists.

Can you recommend how much ease I should cater for in future when measureing him?? do I go for a size 6 next and give him a few extra inches or just one size up?

thanks
    katy

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Hi Katy, welcome!

It is a little while since I made a Sailboat top but I found the fit spot on for my little one but I know I had to add length to the sleeve the older sizes. Maybe it is designed to be shorter?

I am in camp ‘one size up’ for a new pattern, with the theory being it will eventually fit.
    I will also come onto the forum and ask others opinion on fit, that can be really useful.
    I hope it doesn’t put you off though, it is lovely to have new members.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

The Sailboat fits a little snugger than some of the other patterns, in my experience. I generally size down considerably for my girls (my skinny 5-year-old gets a 2 or a 3 with added length, my 4-year-old gets a 3 + length), but not in the Sailboat. I have not made the Sailboat for my son, but he wears a 3T in ready-to-wear, but takes a 2 or a 3 in the O+S Field Trip and Art Museum patterns.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.