Oliver + S

How corny is the matching mom and girl look?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

We have a December bridal shower that’s not really supposed to be Christmas-y and yet we can’t wear spring dresses. And because she’s the flower girl, I felt a new dress is in order. I’m totally poaching from BHLDN, but will make her a long sleeved sheath from gold lace that I will underline in pink satin. I even plan to make the bows at the cuffs.

When we were buying the lace, Kitty said she and I should match. So I’m thinking the same gold lace and pink satin Bistro dress, long or bracelet length sleeves and maybe a ribbon or satin belt. Is that going to be too corny? I mean, I am the mother of the flower girl* and all.

*I’m fully aware this is not actually a thing and have no intention of engaging in any behavior that takes anything away from the bride. I’m just being funny. But it should be a thing. 🙂

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Hilarious! Meleliza I don’t think it is too corny because you are using elements that are the same not dressing exactly alike, right?

I think it will be a very sweet tribute to the day and event.

LINK
    Inder @Inder

“I am the mother of the flower girl!” Hahaha, that is awesome, and should totally be a thing!

I confess, I would not feel comfortable with that level of matchy with my daughter, but to each their own! I am still scarred by my childhood in the 1980s. Nuff said.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

My mom and I never matched, so I guess I’m not scarred. Though it would still scar me if I thought I was dressing like her. Shudder. And I didn’t have siblings to match with.

It will be funny, I think, but I also think it will make for a good future date night dress.

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

I think it is a fun and cute idea to coordinate for the bridal shower, and less attention-calling than to do so at the actual wedding. I do remember from my own wedding that our flower girl’s mom was in many of the pictures of the bridal party — also because she was the ring bearer’s mom! I don’t know about small and large dresses that look the same tho, maybe just the skirt or sleeves in pink-lined gold lace?
    Dd drew a dress for me for her birthday last summer but I didn’t have time to make it, just the one she drew for herself. That’s about as close to matching we’ve gone in a while, except for family pictures I had had taken when she was a year old where the whole family dressed in white. (and dh’s brother’s wedding, where I made a navy wool skirt for me and knit her a dusty blue sweater dress– see my avatar pic.)
    For myself, I remember that my mother sewed terrycloth swim cover-ups from a kit — but there was only one “daughter” one so my sister wore it. it was a rite of passage when she grew out of it and I got to be the one “to match mommy.”

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Reeni.
    LINK
    SewSoSlow @SewSoSlow

Using bits of the same fabric would be great especially since your daughter asked you to. Believe me, that won’t happen often. I wouldn’t do the same styles, or too matchy-match, but components of it in each of the dresses is fine.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Part of the issue is that a simple pattern makes the lace easier to work with. I don’t have a lot of time to piece lace by hand to fit say, a full skirt. But I don’t think they’ll be entirely the same, just similar. Mine will be grown up shaped and hers will be little girl shaped.

I figured I’d be in some of the pictures. For the wedding, I think I’ll wear a champagne lace sheath – very subtle – and she will have a little white dress yet to be finalized. I bought the fabric, the embroidered voile from the cover of sew beautiful magazine when they replicated Caroline Kennedy’s little dress. But I haven’t decided on the pattern. Something very sweetly old fashioned, I think, I just don’t quite yet know what. That’s why I thought it would be fun to wear something more modern for the shower.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

If it makes you happy, go for it!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

If she’s asked for it and you feel comfortable then go for it 🙂 I expect she will rember the matching dresses for years to come and feel so grown up to be matching Mum!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I used to clutch my pearls at the thought of matching but I’ve completely changed my tune, match the hell out of it.

LINK
    Allie @crozette

Not corny! Or, at most, corny in the best way possible. Love it.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I think it would be sweet! I know I make fun of it (bad childhood memories), but you’ll do it in the classiest way possible. Go for it!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Thanks for the feedback – we did go through with it in the end! It was fun if a little over the top. Most people did not dress up as much as the maid of honor had in mind when she planned this classy event. I’m sure we’ll both wear the dresses again but maybe not together. I failed to get any good photos at all! It was crowded, busy and the sun was very strong. I promise to get some later.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.