Oliver + S

Hemming the trousers, leaving room for growth

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I am finally on the home stretch of baby boy’s Christmas Art Museum ensemble. The set is made of a stretch velveteen. The lycra content seems to have stemmed the velveteen’s usual tendency to fray in big chunks, but of course it still frays a bit. Anyway, I think it is possible that these trousers will fit around the waist and hips next year too, so I want to leave a good amount (like 3″) in the hem. I plan to blind stitch the hem in place – my question is should I finish the raw edge? I was going to fold over 1/2″ and then fold up 3″, then blind stitch the folded edge. I’m just not sure whether the raw edge needs to be zigzagged or overlocked first.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

What about a bit of bias tape on the inside so you don’t loose any length next year?

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Great idea, Heidi!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I second the binding but leave a little extra seam allowance when you stitch the binding to the edge so it doesn’t fray away.

It sounds adorable.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.