Oliver + S

Hemming the trousers, leaving room for growth

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    Profile photo of roundtheworldgirlroundtheworldgirl @roundtheworldgirl

I am finally on the home stretch of baby boy’s Christmas Art Museum ensemble. The set is made of a stretch velveteen. The lycra content seems to have stemmed the velveteen’s usual tendency to fray in big chunks, but of course it still frays a bit. Anyway, I think it is possible that these trousers will fit around the waist and hips next year too, so I want to leave a good amount (like 3″) in the hem. I plan to blind stitch the hem in place – my question is should I finish the raw edge? I was going to fold over 1/2″ and then fold up 3″, then blind stitch the folded edge. I’m just not sure whether the raw edge needs to be zigzagged or overlocked first.

LINK
    Profile photo of with love Heidiwith love Heidi @with love Heidi

What about a bit of bias tape on the inside so you don’t loose any length next year?

LINK
    Profile photo of roundtheworldgirlroundtheworldgirl @roundtheworldgirl

Great idea, Heidi!

LINK
    Profile photo of NicoleNicole @motherof5

I second the binding but leave a little extra seam allowance when you stitch the binding to the edge so it doesn’t fray away.

It sounds adorable.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2016. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.