Oliver + S

Hem Facing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    djminimart @djminimart

I’m confused about how to attach the hem facing to the Birthday Party dress. I feel like it relates back to the troubles I had with the Top facing which took me HOURS to figure out. Do I unfold the placket again to attach the hem facing to the raw edge? Or do I sew it to the folded edge??? And if so which folded edge? The 1/2″ or the 1 1/4″ chunk? My first attempt resulted in half the placket curling in so I’m not sure what to do next…and of course I am trying to have this dress finished by my daughters 1st birthday on Saturday 🙁

LINK
    claireabel @claireabel

Yup, you unfold the placket completely and match the raw edges, and sew with a half inch seam. Then, press the seam open.

Then when you fold the placket back the hem facing should fit the edge of the dress perfectly.

Hope that makes sense. As long as you unfold the placket completely to attach the facing it should work out.

Hope that helps… or can someone else explain it better?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Try this lady, http://www.April1930s.com , she seems to know all the patterns backwards and has tutorials

LINK
    djminimart @djminimart

I’ll try unfolding it all the way again…makes sense since this is what I did for the facing, but it didn’t seem to be long enough when I tested that out last night…but then again it was late 🙂 Thanks for the replies!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

djmiminart, mine was a little skimpy, I could fix it by jiggling it, but next time I will do a smaller side seam on the hem facing.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Oh dear, egg on my face !

I have just finished 2 hours of hand sewing on my dress ( its midnight here ) and I have noticed a chalk mark! I sewed one of my hem facings upside down !

Sorry Liesl , oh me of little faith! I wonder if that is what you did djminimart?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.