Oliver + S

Hem Confusion

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • LINK
    ingwiese @ingwiese

I’m so confused about the hem. Does anyone have a simple explanation or photo tutorial for how the hem attaches? I’ve sewn on the hem and folded it over

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Can you give some more detail as to the problem?

I have only made this once and I lined it but maybe I can help. I think the hem is a shaped facing,it that correct? I would think that you would make up the skirt and the facing sew them right sides together,clip, press and turn,and the facing top edge would be neatened. Then it would be a matter of pinning it in place and sewing it by hand or machine on the inside.

There may be a tutorial on the blog,I will go and have a look.

LINK
    ingwiese @ingwiese

I found the tutorial on the blog! thank you for the suggestion. It is so much easier with the pictures. But I do have a question about the blind stitch. I don’t see a stitch on the photos i’ve found online. Is it possible to finish the hem without a blind stitch? And can it be done with a machine?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I machine hem everything but the best of clothes,my children play hard!

I would machine hem it!

(Waiting for the howls of protest)!!!!!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

If you would like a peek http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com/2011/01/tea-party-for-small-one.html I even top stitch when lining a garment.

LINK
    ingwiese @ingwiese

This is so helpful! I see the edge stitch detail, but what about he top of the hem? Do you machine stitch this as well?? I can’t see the stitch on your dress, how did you hide this?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I fully lined the dress so I did not use the hem facing,Sorry!

(But if it is a playdress,I would machine sew it)

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

I just machine stitched mine – it’s really not noticeable once it’s finished. http://www.flickr.com/photos/52151674@N08/5505544798/in/photostream

If you like/are good at hand sewing then you could do it that way (I’m not, so it would look way worse if I hand stitched!)

LINK
    ingwiese @ingwiese

Dear Motherof5, I now want to re-make this dress with a lining. Dear justmejay, I’m sold on the machine stitch. I hate to do it, but I tried hand sewing last night and it just looked bad. The hem seems heavy and awkward, but this is the first dress I’ve ever made, so it might just be the way it goes. Also, though my daughter is in 18 months in most sizes, looks like the o+s 18-24 is too big for her. So now I need an alternative Easter dress! 🙂

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I’ll howl in protest if you like, Nicole. 🙂 I strongly prefer a blind hem on a pretty dress. Though I have been won round recently and I do occasionally just machine the hem. I will machine hem the lining of a dress. If it’s just a tunic top, if it’s just quilting cotton or if it’s a very casual play outfit. Sometimes, if I’m in a real rush I machine it too. But I have to say that every time I machine a hem, I feel just a little bit guilty or lazy. So if it’s a pretty dress with nice or expensive fabric or for a special occasion, or if it took you a long time to make, it absolutely *must* be a hand blind hem.

(I mean this all in good fun, of course. 🙂 You do whatever you like.)

Melanie

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Of course, there are practical implications for different methods – a hand hem will give you a nice drape and a machine hem will stiffen up the fabric. That won’t matter with something like quilting cotton, or it won’t matter if you’re using a very fine and lightweight fabric and a very small hem. But if you want a deep hem for a lovely full drape, a hand hem is best. Right?

LINK
    ingwiese @ingwiese

I’m making this dress again, but with a liner. What do you recommend for steps? And how do I connect the skirt and top?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

If you pop back to my Blog that will show you how!

I do agree with you on special thing’s Melanie,I hand sewed every little bit of the children’s silk wedding outfits http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/5080456709/ that would be exposed(hours and hours,but good practice)

I used to feel guilty ….. but now I sew so much,that to has passed!

Your work is divine,and your attention to detail shows.

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

This picture shows the inside hem, and it’s in a contrasting fabric, so it may give you an idea of how it attaches. http://www.flickr.com/photos/johanna_e_olson/4930553742/

I’ve done it with a blind hem and a machine stitch- it really depends on the formality of the dress and fabric for me.

This is the inside of one that I did with a blind hem-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johanna_e_olson/5259379909/

I’m not a huge fan of hand sewing (sorry Liesl!), but it’s getting better with some practice. Practice that I do reluctantly!

LINK
    Anonymous @

OK, Nicole – howling. He he. I’ve actually come to like hand stitching. I know, I’m strange, but it’s all Liesl’s fault!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.