Oliver + S

help! sunny day shorts sizing! urgent!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

I need help- and fast! Just about too cut out shorts and can’t get ho!d of my daughter in Canada to check measurements for my grandsons. One is aged five and his waist measurement (she gave me) is52.5 cm/ 21 and a halfinches. Other one is seven and his waist is 56cm/ 22 and a half inches. This bears no resemblance to finished short sizes. Is there somewhere I can find ACTUAL measurements? My grandchildren must be tiny!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

*I haven’t made them yet*

Matilda is 5, her waist is 19′ and her hip is 21′, she is the height of a 4 year old. I would generally cut her a size 4 in pull on shorts.

Being pull on elastic waist type shorts I think a bit of ease would come to no harm.

BUT I have not made them and i don’t know if there is a sizing chart.

Is this any help?

Todd Gibson FORUM ADMINISTRATOR link · posted 1 week ago · 72.227.133.132 · edit · delete spam

So sorry about this, but after looking into it we’ve determined the finished measurement listed for the extended waist was slightly smaller than it actually is.

We’ve corrected the chart now (this is just a change to the finished measurement chart, not a change to any pattern pieces) and posted an updated version. If you want the updated one, delete your current copy and download a fresh one.

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Thanks for quick reply, Nicole! I asked my daughter for waist measurement, maybe I should have asked for hip? So looking at your size for Matilda I think I might cut the next size down for the boys. Its not end of world if too small- they would come in for Rose, I suppose, or if Laura has another one, she was making some mutterings …

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Little ones tend to pretty up and down, even chubby ones. I would go by hip for pull on shorts *as a rule*. Sorry not to be more help.

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

No, you are very helpful. I can see how difficult it is to sew for children who you don’t have access to! I will be measuring every little inch of their bodies when I am in Canada- then they will go and grow!!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I always go by the hip rather than the waist measurement. If it helps my tall slim 5 year old niece has a waist measurement of 22.5″, Size 6, and a hip measurement of 23.5″, size 4, and is very tall, I just made her leggings the length of size 8! My nephew who is 7.5 years has a waist measurement of 24.75″ (24 3/4) a size 10 but his waist is 25.5″ only size 5! he is the height of a size 10.

Also it may depend on where your daughter thought their waist was. Many people think that the top of the hips where most kids where their pants is the waist but it’s normally much hight more at belly button level. If your concerned you can always go up a sze as kids grow!

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Thanks for info, Heidi. Between your advice and Nicole’s it does seem I should have asked for hip measurements. The shorts are finished now and I’m pleased with them- let’s just hope they fit! I will be arriving in Canada lunch time Thursday and can’t wait to see them all. I think there are more clothes for Rose than for me!

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Yeah! The shorts fitted! I just need to insert elastic now.

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Yeah! The shorts fitted! I just need to insert elastic now.

LINK
    Wagyu Burger @Wagyu Burger

Another question on fit – if anyone has made the Puppet Show shorts, just wondering if the fit of Sunny Days is similar?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.