Oliver + S

Help pioneer clothing suggestions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    Tassiemum @Tassiemum

My daughter has been asked to come to school on Tuesday (nothing like a bit of notice) dressed as a girl from 100 years ago. Has anyone any suggestions using oliver + s patterns?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Lazy days skirt to the floor, maybe a white one underneath as a petticoat and a Music Class blouse would be perfect. Don’t forget a mop cap!

That would be Early Settler style…..but for an actual 1910 outfit the Croquet dress made with long sleeves and a little length in a subtle colour, grey or beige would be perfect.

Good luck!

~Nicole~

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Apple picking dress? At the beginning of the 20th century, the dropped waist look was popular on little girls, i think. The pioneer era (I’m thinking Laura Ingles Wilder) was more than 100 years ago, early to mid 19th century. Plus, peolpe in the pioneer land out West would likely have dressed differently than those back East in big cities, no? Did they give you any more specifics? That’s a pretty vague instruction.

LINK
    Tassiemum @Tassiemum

Thanks – I don’t have much time so I think I will make a long skirt and a bonnet. She has a shirt she could wear. It wasn’t an exact date – they have been looking at the “olden days” at school.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Ok 100 years ago it was pre war and Edwardian so a white croquet dress or with a nautical type look would really fit the part. They had fairly simple styles in terms of fabric used but they used frills for “jazzing it up” and making the dress a bit more dressy. Girls wore apron type pinnies over the top of their dresses so to not dirty them because alot of the time they would have to wear the same dress a few days in a row. The Coquet dress with long sleeves would be my pick with a pinnie on top.

I would say order them to postpone the dress up day if you had a boy to dress and then you could use the vest pattern that is soon to be released.

Just love how schools are incorporating history on schools again.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I wondered about that Tassiemum.

I had my 4 year ask if we had cars or did I have to ride a pony to school, in the olden days when I was little?

I consider myself a fairly youthful 40 year old, that smacked the reality banner in my face!

LINK
    Tassiemum @Tassiemum

Made a long lazy days skirt and a bonnet (pattern by made by Rae which was a wonderful pattern and so quick). I managed to get some reproduction fabric from spotlight for both. Was contemplating making a music class blouse but she wants to wear a frilly white top she already has. She is very happy with her costume and wore it all afternoon. Will put photos on Flickr soon. Thanks for the help.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

So glad it all worked out in the end, TM. Makes you want send nasty emails to the people who think mothers have nothing else to do but come up with costumes at a moment’s notice, doesn’t it?

LINK
    Tassiemum @Tassiemum

Her teacher is lovely and did say not to fuss too much but who has suitable clothes just sitting in the cupboard?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Well it all depends if there was a plain maxi skirt laying about? But then it is winter so the usual pick would be trousers no matter what I should think. Glad you made a simple outfit.

Tamara

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.