Oliver + S

Help me design a dress for a country/western/hoe-down father-daughter dance!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LINK
    Profile photo of onehappymammaonehappymamma @onehappymamma

Hello sewing friends!

In about a month, my oldest daughter and my husband will be attending a country/western/hoe-down theme father-daughter dance, and of course I want to make a new outfit for the occasion!

I need ideas.

My only thought (and I am totally not committed to it yet!) so far is the somewhat obvious red gingham fabric.

Help!

LINK
    Profile photo of BrittneyBrittney @georgeandizzy

What size is she? That may help with pattern suggestions:) Nicole made a cute Swingset skirt with fringe that was cowgirl like.

LINK

She is an average 8-year old, a straight size 8. 🙂

Thanks! I will check that out!

LINK

What about a lengthened Classic Picnic top in red gingham with a chambray Sketchbook tied in a knot, or a modified Art Museum vest to look sort of like a denim vest? Or you could probably even easier use the sketchbook for a denim vest. I love the flowy dress under a vest or tied shirt. Just my two cents, anyways:)

And of course, boots.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Profile photo of Brittney Brittney.
    LINK

I don’t know how to properly attach a photo, but if you click on the image it will pull up a larger, full shot version.

LINK

Ok yes!! That is perfect! She already has great boots, so we’re set there. I know she will love that outfit. Thanks for your help!

LINK

You’re welcome! I am totally considering running it by my 9 yo, she already has a nice chambray shirt, maybe not in gingham though, being it would be for every day wear… So, thank you for posing the question! 🙂

LINK

Ha! Glad to help! 🙂

LINK
    Profile photo of vothgirlvothgirl @vothgirl

@georgeandizzy that’s adorable! I love it – would also be cute using a lengthened LTTS tutu for the skirt part.

@onehappymamma, another suggestion (for a pattern I don’t own, haha) would be a jumprope dress with a circle skirt modification – I feel like I’ve seen several floating around Flickr, and it would be adorable in denim & cotton lace, or gingham with white accents. It doesn’t look like it would be too difficult to overlay a western-style yoke over the top of the bodice back and front shoulders.

Again, I don’t own that pattern, and I’m in love with Brit’s idea, but thought I’d throw my idea into the mix ;-).

LINK
    Profile photo of with love Heidiwith love Heidi @with love Heidi

What about a full tiered skirt to go with the chambray shirt? I make these all the time, in fact wore a floor length one to a wedding today. I usually make them out of all one fabric. Here’s a tutorial for ones made from multiple fabrics, but it will give you the idea.
    http://www.rileyblakedesigns.com/cutting-corners/2013/9/16/priscilla-patchwork-skirt-tutorial/
    I tend to increase each tier by 1.5.

LINK

Ooh, I like those ideas too! Thank you! Decisions, decisions…

LINK
    Profile photo of ReeniReeni @Reeni

Do you want to do a one-piece dress? I made a dress out of the Little Lisette blouse with a plain top (in velvet) and skirt on wool plaid — fabrics chosen for winter wear, as the kids’ school show was Christmas in the Country. (pic in the o&s flickr)…

LINK
    Profile photo of AgnesJoanAgnesJoan @Agnesjoan

You could do a swing skirt out of chambray with a gingham petticoat ruffle. You could use the gingham for bandanas for both of them. If you make the petticoat ruffle detachable the skirt would be more versitial.

LINK
    Profile photo of NicoleNicole @motherof5

The Hula Hoop skirt? With a knotted Sketchbook shirt?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2016. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.