Oliver + S

Help Fairy Tale Tulip Sleeves

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    buttonup @buttonup

How do you “mirror” the fairy tale tulip sleeves? I have the right armhole sleeve sewed in nicely. How do you mirror the left? When I wrap the sleeve opposite then my double notch changes. Can you please walk me through this. Thank you.

LINK
    Anonymous @

I would love to know the answer to this, too! I botched the sleeves on this dress. I managed to get them mirrored, but the gathers don’t match. Would love to hear any tips.

LINK
    buttonup @buttonup

prideandjoy, how did you mirror the tulip sleeves?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have not made this gorgeous dress with the sleeves but I will try and help. My apologies if I am not much use.

When the sleeves are cut, you should have two, mirrored, if you placed your pattern on the fabric, double layered, right sides together.

The notches would be invaluable here so that you can determine front and back.

If it was me, I would make both sleeves up to the same point, continually checking they are, indeed, opposites. Not sew one in and the start the other.

When sewn, both sleeves should look as if they are a mirrored reflection of the other.

I am sorry not to be more help.

LINK
    Anonymous @

That’s right. I think it would be a best practice to make both sleeves at the same time then sew them in. To ensure I got mirror images, I just looked at the dress turned right side out then folded the opposite sleeve so that it looked right.

My problem came when I couldn’t see my notches well and didn’t match them up exactly. So one sleeve is slightly larger than the other and has more gathers. If I had to do it again I would pay a lot more attention to making my markings very clear.

LINK
    buttonup @buttonup

prideandjoy, I have a sewing notion (looks similar to pliers) that is called a pattern notcher. It makes a 1/16″ wide x 1/4″ long notch where needed through my fabric. The notch is then very visible. Thank you for your suggestion.

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

sorry I didn’t see this sooner but i do have some advice for making sure the sleeves mirror… make them at the same time, exactly the same gathering but one face up and one face down (lining side up). Tack the overlap in place to make sure.
    When you set them in, just flip one “tulip” so the correct attachment side is up.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.