Oliver + S

Harry Potter costume in Oliver and S

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Hi

I’m thinking of making Harry Potter costumes as Christmas Presents (Yes, I know it’s September but I’m trying to be organised, and need time to find fabric etc.). I was thinking through how to do it with the Oliver and S patterns I have. I thought I’d post this as many of you in the US have Halloween coming up. I would appeceite your help and feed back as although I am very familure with the books I have only seen most of the movies once. If you’ve got kids that know this inside out and back to front plase ask them for me! I am basing my costumes on the first few movies and the Lego years 1-4 game as this is what the kids have seen.

Thoughts:

Boys

grey pants – sandbox/field trip minus the cargo pockets

White sketchbook shirt

Grey Nature Walk jumper (sweater), all in one colour,maybe without the collar and with house coloured stripes along neck opening.

LTTS Cape lengthened to floor length in black

Girls

Grey skirt – 2+2 or Sunday Brunch or Sailboat or badminton without scallops (I think the early movies have pleated skirts?)

White sketchbook shirt

Grey Nature Walk jumper (sewater) see above

LTTS Cape see above

Extra’s

LTTS messenger bag – gery or black with house coloured stripy lining and maybe stripy bias binding (finding the stripes could be interesting)

Do the girls need pants as well as a skirt??

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I will have to watch the first movie to see what the girls wore but I think didn’t Hermione wear a pinafore type dress? I have this vision in my mind of her in the girl’s bathroom talking to Moaning Myrtle (Chamber of Secrets) I thought they both had dresses on so will make the excuse to stick the dvd on and research it for you.

Not sure about the pants. There isn’t alot of description of what they wear after the first book but that doesn’t mean they can’t be worn/ used.

LINK

I’m fairly sure Hermione and all the girls wore a pleated skirt, white shirt, jumper, tie in movies 1-3 then movies 4-7(a+b) they wore simular tops but a more A-line skirt that looks almost cut on the bias. I was thinking that the latter look might be done well with the hula hoop maybe lengthened to knee length without the turnover.

I’m thinking of modifying the Firefly jacket to make the robe, which I had forgotton about but is probably the most identifiable part of the outfit!!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Google to the rescue!

http://images1.fanpop.com/images/photos/1300000/Hermione-Granger-Photoshoot-OOTP-hermione-granger-1354671-1919-2560.jpg

Looks like a wrap skirt with two pig box pleats, one falling from the point of each hipbone, just above the knee and charcoal grey. Not too sure if this look was consistent throughout all the films. I am pretty sure no kid is going to notice that detail, though. I am betting the key element will be getting the colors and stripes right for the ties and cardigans.

Ah, and indeed:

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/3300000/Philosopher-s-Stone-hermione-granger-3357388-822-1024.jpg

Lighter grey, pleats all around, and the stripes are not quite the same. White shirt, stripes in the right colors, grey v-neck sweater, grey knee-length skirt — dollars to donuts, that’ll read as Hermione even if you mix and match precise striping patterns, shades of grey, or types of pleats.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

How many are you making? I can’t wait to see! Like Sarvi, 2+2 or Hula Hoop will be fine. Most important will be to get those colors right – no green!

LINK

Planning to make 7 sets, size 12, 10(x2), 7, 6(x2), and 3. If you make for the older ones, the little ones always need one too! Lots and lots of gery! A little black and red and yellow, you’re right NO green! This must be the only time grey is exciting.

Sarvi – those links are great. The first link is movies 4-7, and the second link is movies 1-3. The second (earlier movies) is the look I’m aiming for, as they have only seen the first few movies (or books) or only heard about them.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

It’s always so much easier with an example to work from, isn’t it?

LINK

I am a very visual person, so an example makes everything easier.

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

Please post photos when you are finished, Heidi. I think it is such an ambitious undertaking. I would love to see the finished product.

LINK

I will, you will probably get bits at a time that won’t look like much, but I will take photo’s of it all when it’s done. Now I’m trying to work out where to get about12m of black and red (burgundy) fabric for the capes that’s not too expensive!!

LINK

I just found a ladies pleated grey wool skirt at the op shop (thrift store) and I think I might be able to get all 4 skirts that I need out of it!

Can someone tell me how long the top portion of the hula hoop skirt is in about a size 4? I’m thinking of making a hula hoop with a pleated bottom section for one of the skirts as this will make the pleated material go further.

I also found a couple of meters of dark red fabric! Not the full 12m but a good start.

LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

Such great ideas from all of you! I love that so many of my sewing dilemmas can be resolved in this forum.

I’m in the process of converting two existing Griffendor robes into Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff for my son and a friend. It’s not entirely clear why they needs to be those houses, just to be different I suppose?

My son insists that the robe lining needs a “wand pocket.” I’m not sure how I’ll do it yet, but thought I’d share in case you’ve all had similar thoughts and want to share šŸ™‚

Hollie

LINK
    Robin @Robin

“Wand pocket” is fantastic! I may need to sew a wand pocket in all of my clothes. lol

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

OOH a wand pocket I think wouldn’t be hard at all!!

Maybe use the directions from the mother daughter tote bag on making the pocket, (it is a free pattern, but you probably know that already).

But use the measurements you need to accomodate a wand, like 3″ (7.5 cm) wide by 8-10 inches long…and that is in cm….20-25 cms long. (head bursting from math metric conversion!!)

Then when you stitch to cape, stitch to lining before assembling.

If you don’t have lining, just use thread that will blend as it will be visible from the front.

What do you think? Do-able??

Jenny

LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

Robin, my son had a pair of “carpenter” pants a few years ago. He would only wear them because a wand fit in one pocket and a light saber hung in the loop šŸ™‚

Jenny, I haven’t made the mother daughter tote, I’ll check out the pocket for sure! Turns out the robes have a facing and are made of polyester fleece. Should be easy enough to fit a pocket inside šŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.