Oliver + S

Halloween 2014

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

I don’t yet know what my girls will be for Halloween, but I feel confident that it will involve soldering. Last year I had to sew parts of a dismantled umbrella and the toes from an old pair of sneakers into a hoodie to make ears and wings for a bat costume that was then wired with LEDs hooked to a switch dd held in her hand so she could make them flicker. We have a set of kid-sized stormtrooper armor from a kickstarter DH is doing some work with, but it’s already been passed over for Halloween use because it doesn’t light up.

I love that my kids are so creative, and I’m also mad crazy jealous of anyone whose Halloween planning involves a Red Riding Hood cape or some cute fleece-y ears, and not the transformation of the dining table into an electronics lab for weeks at a time.

LINK
    Jane @jesims

Oh EllenMCM, I so feel your pain. Hubby is an electrical engineer. Last year he made fairy wings with LED’s. This year P plans to be Rapunzel and he is already ordering supplies to make her hair glow.

Last year hubby and my son worked for a month programming some small arduino computers connected to tiny LED screens the simulated eye and mouth movement. When Zach spoke (through a voice altering device) the screens reacted.

Jane

LINK
    thesimpson5 @thesimpson5

Thank you, Sarvi! I hadn’t even considered the Music Box jumper, but after looking at View B I think it would be perfect! And a long sleeve white Music Box blouse with peter pan collar will get lots of wear after Halloween. Perfect! 🙂

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Can’t wait to see your Madeline costume, she’s a big favorite around here 🙂

LINK
    Mel @Mel

My daughter’s teacher has asked me to make a Kristoff costume for a boy she used to work with. He’s 22, has autism and is an athlete. He also adores Disney and his parents take him to Disney World yearly. His trip this year coincides with Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party in October. That’s where he’s going to be wearing the costume so it can’t be too warm. I’m going to start with Thread Theory’s Finlayson sweater, change the collar and the sleeves and lengthen it, etc.

Any suggestions about fabric? I have some charcoal brussels washer linen that I bought for another project (that hasn’t happened!). I’m just worried about the wrinkles and wonder if it will look “weighty” enough.

Here’s a link to one of his videos (his mom said he just hit 6 million views on youtube!):

http://youtu.be/DK837BXUEWY

And here’s his website:

http://www.autismmeansfriendship.com

I feel like I’m sewing for a celebrity :).

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Uhm, Helps! So, last minute sewing here. I’m making an AAGPBL uniform. (Poor girl has been Alice for 2 years in a row lol).

This page is my inspiration:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jpellegrini/1231536022/

http://www.marqueecapital.com/asset_details.php?asset_id=96

So, I’m thinking a Sketchbook shirt + Jumprope skirt.

Any thoughts on adjusting that neckline? Or would it be easier to adjust the jumprope bodice to do what I want?

LINK
    Sherry @mim22

What a wonderful outfit. Have you thought of the Apple Picking dress because of the double front could be adapted I think.

Please post photos when its done, I think it will be amazing.

I have just made Sven (the reindeer from frozen) from the sailboat top and bedtime pants in polar fleece, little man loved it and wouldn’t take it off, even though it was quite warm and his face was as red as a lobster.

Good luck.

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Oh that is a good idea too. I was hoping to stick with patterns I have on hand so I don’t have to wait for it to arrive (I prefer the paper patterns). Hmm. This is an excellent idea though. This might be just the push I needed to nab the applepicking dress.

Sven will be adorable! Can’t wait to see it!

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

My daughter was wavering between Elsa and Doc McStuffins. I am reinforcing Doc. We have the toys that can contribute to the costume. The hard part for us is the weather. It is often 40 and rainy. In my own childhood I remember the wet snow.

We have learned that costumes must be big enough to wear jammies underneath, and your winter coat too! Although maybe I will buy Doc jammies and that can be the “legging” of the costume. While I have no problem having an excuse to purchase the leggings patterns or t shirt pattern to make her the costume, I don’t know if I can find the right “fabrics.”

Does anyone remember what pattern someone used to make the doc coat from? We have one but her winter coat won’t fit under it.

LINK
    vothgirl @vothgirl
    LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

that was it! thanks!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

And Juliasmom did the whole McStuffins outfit

I’ll go find the link…

Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/janice4839/8133330084/

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

It is such an iffy time of year! We need costumes ready for either hot or cold. Last year, my witch was at the last minute a sleeveless sundress. But it could just as easily be cold. So it takes some forethought. I always hated when my mom made me wear my winter coat over my costume, so I try to figure out a way to keep warm without ruining the costume.

I have a Princess Leia gown done and two Jedi shirts. Just need a belt for Leia, the tool belt thingy for Luke and a hooded robe for Obi wan. Plus the fake boot covers. Whew. And why do I always seem to be sick during Halloween sewing?

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I have sewn two Elsa costumes, one Diego, and one wizard. I still have a Lone Ranger to sew and then a leprechaun to go. It’s getting very close, EEPP!

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Mel, it sounds gorgeous – your kids will stand out – for not being “Frozen”. Sharon, a leprechaun??? Although Australians “don’t do” Halloween, I’ve noticed that the plastic ‘stuff’ associated with the holiday is taking up a lot of room in our supermarkets. No doubt other women here have noted it, too. But I’m a complete sucker for kids dressing up and I’m REALLY looking fwd to seeing the pics in Flickr!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.