Oliver + S

Halloween 2014

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

So, like every other little girl in the world…mine wants to be Elsa for Halloween. Specifically, she wanted the exact, over-priced Elsa costume from Chasing Fireflies catalog (she made it to the mailbox before me). Somehow, she managed to talk her grand-mother into buying it for her as her birthday present. It doesn’t ship until Oct 21, so here is hoping it actually shows up on time and fits.

My four year old has decided he wants to be Ryder from PawPatrol.

http://paw-patrol.wikia.com/wiki/Ryder I’m pleased b/c it is an easy costume to make. I’ll make a pair of blue field trip pants, and I have some patterns here I’m sure I can work out for a vest. I want to go ahead and do a solid job on the vest, so he can wear to play and preschool after the holiday. Fabric suggestions? Also, any tips on a source for an authentic looking badge would be appreciated.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Chasing Fireflies is simultaneously an inspiration and bane to our existence! ๐Ÿ™‚ My Elsa is considering Doc McStuffins again. She told me she could be both, and I explained that Halloween was only once a year and you only got out once so ONE costume. We are in deciding mode.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

mcholly Sarah wants me to make her the very same costume! She did want to be pinkalious until that cataloged showed up in the mail! I have all the details of the pinkalious costume worked out too including a smocked bodice but last night Sarah was singing “let it go” and freezing everything in the house so I guess she wins, it is after all her costume. I hope mine will look close to the catalogue one so this Friday I am going to hunt for Elsa fabric in town.

Caspian is the easiest costume of all, Diego. His is all done other than a raglan shirt I need to make. He really loves his vest and wears it almost everyday already.

LINK
    Jane @jesims

That catalog is the worst! It makes it to the trash bin as quickly as possible here.

Now P has decided she wants to be Rapunzel (the Disney version). I haven’t hit purchase on the fabric yet, just in case she changes her mind, a-gain.

Jane

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Mine are doing Star Wars. After much debate and tears, my tall dark and handsome oldest will be Luke Sywalker and my adorable, flaky blonde middle one will be Obi Wan and of course we all know who Kitty will be. Why on earth do they not see that Han Solo is the good one?

Easy sewing, I think, but something like 12 yards of fabric. I’ll use a combination of karate, pjs and nativity patterns. ๐Ÿ™‚

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

My younger girls want to go as Monster Hall dolls. Blech. I’m hoping to sway them to something else…

LINK
    Rpankow @excytin

Cindy, I don’t blame you at all for not being excited about their choice, I’m not a fan of the dolls myself! My 7 year old actually “designed” her own costume this year. She wanted to be some sort of monster so she drew one up and now we’re trying to make it come to life. I think I’m going to make a green fleece field trip tee that’s been A-lined and lengthened with elastic on the bottom and hopefully stuffed or “supported” so it doesn’t droop in. I’m going to splice the sleeves in half and insert green and purple felt “spikes along the top of the arm. I’m going to take halved styrofoam balls and cover them in green and purple felt and attach them to the shirt to make all sorts of bumps. Make fleece playtime leggings or nature walk pants. Add felt “spikes” to a headband. Color and tease her hair and put on green and purple make up with vampire teeth. I think I will add glow in the dark fabric spray paint to the bumps as well.

I hope I can do her vision justice! ๐Ÿ™‚

-Rebecca

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I like the Chasing Fireflies version much better than the Disney dress up dresses I’ve seen, but not the price! I think it would be easy to knock off as I essentially made myself an Elsa costume very similar using a tshirt pattern and a straight skirt pattern. I’ll get the pictures and a description up, hopefully today, so if you want to have a go you can ๐Ÿ™‚

LINK

OK now Sarah is telling me she wants to be Zernia the pirate fairy. Why does every costume she wants now have to be, well, not so child like looking?! I think I will wait another couple of weeks for her final pick and move onto the two middle boys first. Garrett’s will be so easy and plus I will have to buy the Art Museum pattern! He is going as the Long Ranger.

LINK
    Jane @jesims

Sharon,

I was hoping P would be Zerina. I loved her costume.

I caved this morning and hit buy on the fabric for Rapunzel, so I hope it doesn’t change over the next month because I don’t want to be stuck with yards of pink and purple Radiance silk/cotton.

Jane

LINK

Any thoughts Jane on how to make the skirt part of Zernia’s dress?

LINK
    Jane @jesims

I think maybe a Swing Set skirt would be the pattern to use. You could use a French curve to mark then cut the front detail and maybe make the skirt a little fuller so you could add in some extra draping or pleats. In my head it makes sense but I’m not sure how to explain it.

My girlfriend asked me to make a Princess pirate from Jake and the Neverland Pirates and I plan to do something similar.

Jane

LINK

That makes total sense! I am going to use a peasant dress for the top and make a corset using the Fairytale dress. The skirt sounds right on the want it needs to look like, thank you Jane!!

LINK
    thesimpson5 @thesimpson5

Hi! So glad I found this in the forum. I’m new here and looking for help planning a Madeline dress and cape for my 8 year old. Any ideas on which O+S pattern would be the best choice for this? This will be my first ever handmade Halloween costume, and I’m so excited about it! Thanks!!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Ooh, how about a Music Class blouse, a Music Box view B jumper (I can’t remember if Madeline has pleats or not), and a LTTS cape with the hood left off. So darling!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.