Oliver + S

Grading shorts pattern to fit?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    ditherdither @ditherdither

So my son has this problem….he has no hips and no butt. Seriously, there is only .5in difference between his waist and his pants. NONE of his pants fit, unless they are elastic all the way around, and I’d like him to have some proper pants. So, I obviously need to step in and sew him some, lol! I haven’t made pants before, but I’m sure I can tackle the sewing. But, I’m nervous about how to get the right fit.

He’s nearly 5, and wears a 5 in most things I’ve made (shirts). His hip measurements put him in 18-24 mos. size. Can I just lengthen the 18-24 mos size? Or will that be ridiculous? I’m not sure how to go about it at all, really. Help!

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

What are his hip and height measurements?

LINK
    ditherdither @ditherdither

His hips are 21.5 inches. He was just measured at the doctor’s the week…I should remember better! I think he was 43.75 inches.

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

my boy’s hips are 21 and I made him a size 4, I thought they were a little tight and will be making a 5 next time. Though I do usually make him a 4 in Oliver + S.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I think,with this pattern,you could straighten the side seams and add length to the bottom.

If you are not pleased with that Liesl did a great post on altering pattern here http://oliverands.com/blog/2010/02/lengthening-and-shortening-a-pattern.html .

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

You might like the split the difference make a size 3 with the size five length, that way either he can grow into them and you make a smaller one or it might be OK, or at least better than what he’s wearing. Or just go with the measured hip and waist, it will probably be fine as at that sizing it probably also allows for a nappy so is slightly more generous than some of the larger sizes would be.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.