Oliver + S

Gathering stitches and seam allowance

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Anonymous @

I’m working on the fairy tale dress now and am completely confused about the instructions for the gathering stitches for the skirt and sleeves. The pattern calls for two rows – one at 3/8 and one at 5/8″. But then the seam allowance used to sew the skirt to the bodice and the sleeves to the bodice is 1/2″. So the gathering stitches at 5/8″ show through. What am I doing wrong? I’ve read and re-read the pattern and I can’t figure it out. Thanks in advance for your help!

LINK
    Mel @Mel

you’re reading it right! The gathering stitches are at 3/8 and 5/8 and then you sew in between them at your normal 1/2 seam allowance and then remove the visible gathering stitches after sewing the seam. Doing it this way gives you nice even gathers. Good luck with the rest 🙂

LINK
    Anonymous @

Thanks for the replay! That’s how I read the instructions – the problem is that when I pull out the gathering stitches, the little needle punctures in the fabric remain. Is this technique meant for delicate fabrics. (I am using Liberty). How do you avoid this?

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

When I sew a fine fabric like voile or lawn, I won’t use the 5/8″ gathering stitch in order to avoid the punctures. 1/4″ and 3/4″ usually works just fine for me.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

@sayiamyou, yes, I do too.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.