Oliver + S

French seams in puppet show shorts

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

I’ve been making puppet show shorts for summer, because who wouldn’t? Some of my wovens are prone to fraying. I see that the seam allowance is half an inch on most of the seams, which is probably ample for French seams, but I was wondering if anyone has done it? The waist and the cuffs need no adjustment, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with how french seams on the inseams and crotch might affect the sizing on this project.

Which, by the way, looks awesome in the Heather Ross linen/gauze I have been hoarding for three years.

LINK
    marshmallow lemonade @marshmallow lemonade

I just made a pair of these this week. I used french seams for the inside seams with no problem. I made two 1/4 inch seams. There is a little bulk where the two seams meet, but it was worth it, in my opinion. I was using a relatively light weight linen-ish fabric. I don’t think the french seams would have worked on the denim pair I made in the past.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

If any seams feel a bit thick a gentle tap with a hammer will soften the fibres and make them easier to sew.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

If any seams feel a bit thick a gentle tap with a hammer will soften the fibres and make them easier to sew. As for the sizing,I do find this pattern a wee bit slim on a nappy bottomed child so a wider seam at the crotch would be of some benefit.

Purely my opinion,not speaking from experience.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I make all my bloomers and puppet show shorts with French seams. They need to hold up to lots of washing! Sometimes, I clip the sharper curves after the first stitching. I’m planning a twill pair for kcwc, though and I’m thinking flat felled seams. I think it will be too thick for French. I haven’t had any problems with cloth diapers in these. (I’m assuming nappy means cloth diapers?)

LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

It would never have occurred to me to whack it with a hammer. That would be a great way for my 4yo to help Mama sew.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Tao from the inside,in case the fabric marks,but it works so well.

Great for hemming jeans.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.