Oliver + S

fold lining 5/8" ?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • LINK
    mcurban @mcurban

Hopefully, this is an easy question. Step 2 under “assemble the bodice” instructs to fold and press the center back edges of the lining by 5/8″. It may help to run a basting stitch 5/8″ from the cut edge to use as folding guide.

So, is the fold itself 5/8″ (folding ON the basting stitch), or am I running a basting stitch and folding TO that stitch (making the fold 5/16″)?

Thanks so much! So far, the dress is coming along. I skipped making the lining and have gotten as far as inserting the zipper. The walking foot has been essential w/ the velvet, but I haven’t run into any major snags…yet 🙂

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

The basting stitch will help you make a crisp and accurate fold. It creases the fabric a little and it makes measuring a little easier. It’s an optional step, but a handy little trick I often use ever since reading it in Oliver and S instructions. You can pick out the basting later or press just to the side of it if you wish. The folded edge of the lining will be slip stitched by hand to the inside after the zip is installed.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Its a fab tip, I tend to stitch a 4/8th myself as I found it gives some ease in case of shrinkage.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.