Oliver + S

Flickr Pool Milestone

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

So, have you guys noticed that the Flickr pool is approaching 25,000 photos? I find that amazing….I was thinking about this – so, probably, a lot of people post multiple photos, but a lot of people only post one each of their project. So, maybe there are 12,500 unique projects, or thereabouts?

Well, so I measured my kid’s wingspan, and it was 42″. If you lined up all those 12,500 projects, each worn by a kid with a 42″ wingspan, it would reach 8.286 miles!

And, just think about 12,500 garments – that’s a lot of garments! Some towns don’t have 12500 people in it!

(Maybe I’ve been spending too much time analyzing data for my job and it’s overflowed into my sewing world….but, seriously, 25,000 photos is pretty cool!)

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Its very special, I am feel privileged to be a part of the magic.

~Nicole~

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Me too!! I’ve never had so much fun as when I joined the O+S Flickr pool to post my work, and view the wonderful fabrics, and creations of our fellow sewists! The number of times that others in the library stare at me as I’m goggling at the photos, and saying “Wow”, or “Auugh” (much too loudly) doesn’t bear contemplating for too long.

Janice, I think you must have contracted “tinselitis” – what on earth possessed you to measure Julia’s wingspan? But it’s very sweet, nevertheless. I’m remember being told that it was 12,000 miles from Australia to England (haven’t a clue how many klicks that is) when I was about 7, and we were heading to spend a year OS because my father had been awarded a fellowship to study abroad. So we still have a way to go. But 25,000 pics is definitely worth celebrating!!!! And Nicole is so right – it is magic. Or rather the friendship, and sharing that is the principal result, is.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Well that’s, um, interesting. I think I zoned out there for a minute with all those numbers. But 25 I can get on board with, that’s nice and round and makes sense.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Janice, I heart you! All those numbers! I love that you figured it all out. And you’re right–that IS quite a Flickr milestone.

And I completely agree with needlewoman: I love the community that has grown up around this little company. I’ve personally made friends with so many of you, and it’s amazing to me that you have had the same experience. How fun that we can all be connected, all over the world!

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

So that that you figured that all out Janice! It such a great community, so much more than a flicker group! ~

~Sharon~

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Janice, you are so awesome! What an inventive post, I love it! Gotta go measure my kid’s wingspan now…

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

Janice – that is amazing! I love that you worked that out (I’m a bit of a geek for those kind of stats!)

And I too love the community that is the O+S Flickr group x

LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

Ok, so, yeah, I am quite a numbers/statistics geek, but I really had to point this out!

I bet the pool gets to 50,000 at a much faster rate than it got to 25,000 – but, I’m not going to mathematically try to predict the date!

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

That’s a great milestone. I bet we have collectively made more than 25,000 garments. I know I don’t get all of mine posted. The umpteenth hopscotch dress just doesn’t get the same documentation that the first few did. 🙂

LINK
    brenda1652 @brenda1652

Although I have not posted on Flickr, I start each day by looking at what you talented folks have posted. The other thing I do is to click on your names to see what other sewing and crafts you each post. Hoping this does not seem to be stalking (lol!) but since it is a public posting I assume it’s OK. When you post an address for your own blogs I visit those too.You are all such clever sewists and crafters and never cease to inspire me.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Brenda, may I ask why you don’t post photos?

I, personally would love you too.

Flickr has become a lot less personal lately and I would encourage everyone to post and comment, even if it is ‘another’ Hopscotch dress. Its all so lovely to see and I love reading my comments.

~Nicole~

LINK
    brenda1652 @brenda1652

Hi Nicole. I was thinking of doing just that after the sewing frenzy of the holidays is over. I just ordered some lovely supplex tonight over at Chez Ami to make my grandsons some field trip pants, only $2.25/yd (until Sat), width of 60″, many colors. I think these will make good pants to wear when they visit us on the farm and play in the mud (and manure!) come mud season in May. Good for the girls too. I have a pair of supplex barn pants that I have worn to death and they still endure, and I can fit leggings under them for winter. So, yes, this time I will snap some pics and get to posting. I am in my 60’s and have been sewing since I was 5 yrs old and legally blind when my patient Gram taught me to sew on buttons, bless her soul. I can see better now (after many surgeries) and still love to sew. The woman who taught me to make clothing in my 4-H club used to ask me to come in after chores (I also worked on their farm) and thread her machine. She said I could see to do it much better than she could. Nobody ever told me I was anything but blind as a bat! So, it made such an impression on me that sewing became a passion. My stash is now beyond believing, but all of it good and all on sale, of course! (and, we also have our own farm now.)

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I wonder if some sort of 25000 flickr party is in order?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

“Unknown Host

Description: Unable to locate the server named “www.yfor.flickr.com” — the server does not have a DNS entry. Perhaps there is a misspelling in the server name, or the server no longer exists. Double-check the name and try again.”

Sigh. I am trying. So is Flickr, for a different value of ‘trying’.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.