Oliver + S

Finishing the inside of the side seams

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

I am sewing two jumpers one in dark pink and one in medium blue 21 whale corduroy. I have three options to finish the side seams, either serge separate and press open or serge together and to the side, or french seams. Which one looks the best? I have gray serger thread will that look OK?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

For cord I would have overlocked edges and pressed flat(open). However with my new machine,I will be stitching in one motion(separate straight stitch and overlocked edge)and pressing to one side.

If it is fine cord french seams would be lovely,but be careful,I muffed mine and the bodice ended up too big!

Grey thread is a good neutral choice.

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

Thank you for helping me, I was also serging the single edges first on other patterns before I sewed them together, without using the knife, called “three thread wide” on my overlock machine. If I understand you correctly, I can use the same “three thread wide” and sew the seam at the 1/2 and use the knife that will trim it and finish the edges together then I will press to the side. You were kind enough to answer me before about the serger thread but I could not get the brand you suggested or see the color numbers that you suggested so I am using the gray thread from my sewing shop where I bought the overlock machine. I’m happy to know it will work.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.