Oliver + S

Finishing Seams

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    lifeinoz @lifeinoz

I’m a fairly new clothing sewer. I have a few clothing projects under my belt and lots of quilts. I recently made the sailor pants for my 3 year old. I realize I may be having a brain fart but how in the world do I iron seam allowances open and then finish them?? I have a serger but I can’t figure out how to do this once they are ironed open. Help!!!!

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

It can be done, but it’s not my favorite way to do it. It’s hard to explain….just put the seam allowance you want to finish under your serger foot and fold the rest of the garment and other seam allowance out of the way. When I know that there is a seam I will want to iron open (instead of to one side) I serge the edge first, then sew it together. HTH.

LINK
    lifeinoz @lifeinoz

That’s what I was thinking @bren5kids. Why would one do it the way in the directions?? It seems (pun intended) rather difficult. Oh and I’m heather6kids! Love big families!!!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Not everybody has a serger (sigh! maybe one day I’ll have one!). On some seams I prefer to neaten the edge first — for example a small, curved seam in a tight spot. Other times, the seam will either be covered by something else (like a facing) or I will put in French seams, or I will bind the seam. Having finished the seam first would not be helpful in those situations.

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

Hi Heather! My username really should be bren6kids, I just haven’t gotten around to changing it since #6 was born six mo. ago 🙂 Brenda

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5
    LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Congrats on the new baby, Brenda!

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

Thanks, Sarvi! He’s just the sweetest little thing!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.