Oliver + S

Finishing seams

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    claireabel @claireabel

Hi

I’m currently sewing the Sketchbook shirt for my little boy. I’ve just set in the sleeves.

I’m pondering a few things before I finish…

How do you prefer to finish the seam between the sleeve and main shirt? From what I’ve found online most people seem to leave it unfinished but I am reluctant to do that (read: anal-retentive! The rest of the shirt is so neat and I want it all to be that way). I don’t want to use my overlocker so was thinking about a bound seam or Hong Kong finish. What do you think? Would this work? The fabric I’m using is a heavy-ish cotton/linen blend (85% cotton: 15% linen) so I think I would have to use a lighter weight fabric for finishing? Would love your advice or experiences.

My other question is: do you think it would be appropriate or even possible to use a flat-felled seam to finish the shirt off? I love French seams but think my fabric is too bulky for this.

Thanks. And sorry if these are ditzy questions, I am still a relative beginner 🙂

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Hi Claire, I overlocked my side seams, pressed, stitched in one movement, from cuff seam to hem, pressed, opened to a flat seam and pressed again.

The only garment I have bound (so far) is the brunch jacket as this gives it some body as well as a nice finish.

What is a Hong Kong finish? and a flat-felled seam? I would love to know.

LINK
    claireabel @claireabel

Thanks Nicole

So you overlocked before assembling the shirt?

A flat felled seam is like the seam you often see on jeans. I think it would suit the shirt I’m making which is fairly casual (short sleeves, pocket and standard collar).

Have a look here: http://www.sewneau.com/how.to/flat.felled.seam.html. It appeals to me because the raw edges are concealed, but I just don’t know how well it would work on the shirt considering I have to ‘turn a corner’ with the sleeve.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I tend to overlock a lot of the pattern piece’s before the construction otherwise they are really hard to finish. I just cannot leave a raw seam!

With the shirt , I attached the sleeve to the front&back and then sewed the side seam and sleeve side seam in one step.

I see what you mean about ‘ turning a corner”, that would make a very fat under arm seam.

Thanks for the link, you learn something every day!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.