Oliver + S

Finishing Puppet Show Dress sleeves

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    pippi @pippi

I am trying to figure out how to finish off the sleeves on the inside of this dress. I see that several people have done the narrow bias binding on the bottom (arm pit) of the sleeves, but the photos i see look like the upper arm and shoulder are more finished (no raw edges showing) but the way I interpret the directions is to just sew the lining to the seem allowance which would result in all three fabric pieces (sleeve, bodice and bodice lining) being raw?

I haven’t done a lot of sleeves yet so maybe i am missing something simple?

Thanks!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I tucked my lining to the inside Pippi,this may be some help http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/sets/72157629163490035/

Well,I hope it is…

~Nicole!

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

I always use the overlock stitch on my machine.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I don’t have an overlocker, but my puppet show sleeve was finished with a zig zag stitch after sewing all three layers (bodice, sleeve and lining) together. It’s not as perfect a finish as binding but it’s quick and has held up to washing just fine.

LINK
    pippi @pippi

okay i went with the zig zag. I am thinking my daughter will say it is itchy… but we’ll see. I think i was over thinking it, the directions say something about folding and i couldn’t figure out where to fold what. zig zag or overlock seems like a normal (easy) way to finish it off though.

one of these days i will try some of the “fancy” binding that i have seen folks in the flicker group doing! it looks so pretty on the inside that way!

Thanks!

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

How do you normally finish the seams for her (since the zig zag finish might be itchy)?

LINK
    pippi @pippi

I have only done a couple of sleeves, i guess most of what I have made for her have been strappy dresses and skirts. Just lately she has complained about bodice/skirt seems being itchy, even in RTW stuff. We’ll see. I have to start working the buttons. She doesn’t seem very excited about it anyway though. She is almost 3 and starting to get more picky about what she wears. 🙁

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Oh no! Well, don’t give up. Have you tried letting her choose fabrics? My daughter is just over 3 and really likes to choose fabrics and then see a dress from what she chose. Maybe that will help pique her interest? Good luck!

PS, maybe using French seams will help? I haven’t done that with sleeves, but any other place that I can get away with it I’ll use that method. Tea party dress, for instance, still flares nicely with French seams and then you could layer a shirt and not fuss with zig zagging on the sleeves. Music box would be another good piece to try them on.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.