Oliver + S

Finishing knits

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    Emily @eboyd83

Hi. I’m about to make this and am pretty new to seeing with knits. Can I use a rolled hem foot or some such method to finish the hem? Suggestions please thanks.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Hi @eboyd83.

The main thing, with hemming knits, is keeping enough ease and stretch so that the hem doesn’t ‘pop’ when being worn or put on and off.

I have a cover-stitch machine (which is great when it works). Before that, I used to neaten the raw edge with a zig zag, turn press and then stitch with a large stitch (3.5) stretching in the fabric a bit as I sewed. It could be a bit wobbly but would usually settle with a good steamy press.

If you have an over locker, another great method with plenty of stretch, its press your hem, them fold it up, right side to right side, and over lock the raw edge with the bottom fold of the top.

When you press is back down you will have a neat self band with plenty of give.

I have not used a rolled hem foot but maybe someone else has?

I hope that is some help.

xx Nicole

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Not to blow my own horn, but have you looked in the tutorials section of the Oliver + S blog? With just a bit of tinkering and practice, you can get a great, professional looking, and nearly unbustable hem using a twin needle.
    A simple zig zag stitch will work well too, and if your thread colour matches well is not that bad to look at.

LINK
    Emily @eboyd83

I don’t have an over locker but I have a server. I have only used it on a handful of projects so far. Thanks for your suggestion.

LINK
    Emily @eboyd83

I think I might have a twin needle. Thanks for that suggestion. I’ll check out the tutorial.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

@eboyd83 Emily a serger and an overlocker are the same thing, just US vs Aus/English terminology.
    A coverstitch is the separate function which looks like straight stitching on top and serging/overlocking underneath. A coverstitch can be a stand alone machine or a combo serger/coverstitch.

LINK
    Emily @eboyd83

Okay thanks. Mine can’t do
    That cover stitch.

LINK
    Emily @eboyd83

@motherof5 Hi, I was wondering where you get your clothing labels that I have seen in your pictures. They are really nice looking and I wanted to get some labels made to personalize my kids clothes.

I can’t figure out how to private message people or if that is even an option in this forum.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

@eboyd83 I have tried a few but my latest ones are from Cash’s name labels.

They have been the best, and if you contact them directly they will do a large bulk order.

xx Nicole

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.