Oliver + S

Favorite tips for threading elastic?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

I thread elastic through waistbands a lot! One way to make it pretty much foolproof is to use the widest elastic that fits in the channel. I like to use a stitch holder (sold for knitting, like these http://www.knitpicks.com/tools/knitting-stitch-holders.html) to thread through for waistbands; my problem with safety pins was that they would open, or rip through the elastic as I pulled, but the stitch holders are sturdier… Once it is threaded through, I will stretch it to its full length and sew through the middle to secure it. I got a good deal on some 3/4″ buttonhole elastic and it works perfectly with that even if I’m not doing an adjustable waistband.

Another way is to use the method for the Nature Walk pants: sew the elastic into a loop, then build the waistband around it.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Bumped!

LINK
    Aussie Gal @Aussie

Hello, I use these and have not had a problem with twisting or getting a safety pin stuck through tricky seams at times. http://cloverproducts.com.au/search-results/keyword/bodk/search-in/product/search-other/product,p_cat/

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Thanks for recommendation, I have really liked all the Clover products I’ve used. Hadn’t seen those before.

LINK
    JenniferP @JenniferP

I use the safety pin method with a jumbo safety pin and have a few tricks to add:

1. Cut a curve in the elastic on the end that is going through first so the edges don’t get caught.

2. Draw an arrow on both ends of the elastic, so when I am at the end the arrows should point in the same direction!

This has worked for 30+ Lazy Days skirts.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.