Oliver + S

Favorite fabric choices for sailboat pants

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    pippi @pippi

Hey there-

I am gong to make some sailboat pants for a couple of my kids…I want them to be comfortable and durable… what kinds of fabric do you guys like best?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I love cotton drill,or medium weight denim or linen for these pants.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Exactly what Nicole said. This spring was the first time I’ve used a quilting cotton, and they seem to be holding up well so far, but I anticipate the others will outwear these.

LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

I’m making a pair form an old men’s dress shirt (lightweight twill) right now, but I have used heavy old twill curtains (the pants could stand up by themselves but were super sturdy- three boys and they are still going) and I have used linen from men’s dress pants, recycled jeans, etc. I have used it all and it is a great pattern to reuse mens pants for because there is only a few pattern pieces and at least the sizes up to 3 fit on the leg of the recycled pants perfectly, and you can always use contrast for the facings and pockets if you run out! I think it mostly depends on what the kiddos will be doing in their pants…church or dirt? I always go for super sturdy and thick materials for play! Then my handmades outlast the store bought!

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I used cotton uphostery/drapery fabric. It is like ticking- black and white stripe. They are so cute. I think you need a bottom weight.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I want to make some in corduroy but then we are coming into winter here but I have seen then in denim and they look wonderful.

LINK
    pippi @pippi

awesome advice! thanks!!! i actually have a couple of those heavier-ish mens shirts that my husband wanted to donate–that may work perfect, especially for my first pair in case i have some kinks to work out. Violetvata, so funny that you mention your curtain pants because i actually just cut into some old twill curtains for a tea party bodice last night. I have used those curtains for a ton of projects over the years! i will have to try out your recycled men’s pants idea too…

i was hoping to use a nice solid front fabric and line it with something really fun so the kids (boy and girls!!) will want to wear them more. 🙂 I will look for some girly bottom weight for my daughter’s pair and I really like corduroy too for winter, i will have to keep that in mind in these come out well worn.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I recommend reinforcing the knees with some patches that go all the way to the seams. If you look at a pair of rtw cargo pants, you’ll see what I mean.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.