Oliver + S

fake double buttons

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I am making a secret agent trench in 18-24m size. I am about to put the buttons on but realised that buttoning up all 6 buttons on a wiggly 18m old is not going to be fun. I was hoping to make the second set of buttons into fake ones. I was planning on sewing the button holes and sewing the buttons directly on top of the button holes while doing the ones closest to the edge as normal.

I tried googling this to find a tutorial but nothing came up (not sure if I have the wrong name for it), I’ve seen the technique fairly often in adult double button coats.

I would appreciate any feedback/ideas.

Thanks.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Do you have the Apple Picking dress pattern? Liesl has utilised that design choice there.

I would just sew the buttons on,not bother with button holes with the lower three but make the top button ‘true’ so it would hold together nicely.

Sorry,does that make sense?

~Nicole~

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Or bribe her with sultana’s?

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

My advice is the same as Nicole’s. Check out the Apple Picking dress if you have it. I haven’t made this coat, but it seems like it should be doable. And I like Nicole’s idea of making both top buttons functional.

LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

I did this when I tested the pattern last winter, I made all the buttonholes as directed but only cut open the ones closest to the edge, for the others, I sewed the buttons on top of the uncut buttonholes

it worked great and particularly on the smaller sizes ( I made 18-24 m), I think you don’t even need both top buttons to be functional, as there isn’t much fabric or weight at the overlap! Good luck! It is in the Flickr group and is a army green twill but not sure how to link to Flickr via my phone! Should be one of the first coats posted! Katja

LINK

Hi

Katja,I’m having trouble finding your army green coat in the flicker group. Could you post a link here?

Unfortunalty I don’t have the Apple Picking Dress, but that’s a great idea of getting the instructions from there.

Thanks for all the prompt responses. I just need a clear head to finish the button holes and take pictures!

LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

Here it is-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37884656@N03/6879304382/in/photostream

There are a few more of this coat if you look in my photostream

I don’t think you can tell at all in the photos that the second row is faux. AND you could always cut them open later if you needed to. No reason not to try it!

Katja

LINK

Thanks Katja.

I have finished the coat and did add the second row of buttons as faux. here is the link http://www.flickr.com/photos/73669617@N07/7384160636/in/pool-694451@N21/

I took photo’s of what I did so am aiming to make up a basic tutorial as well.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Looks great, I would never know they weren’t all functional.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.