Oliver + S

FairyTale Dress-Cutting the Skirt

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I am about to cut the skirt for Zara’s dress.

The fabric she has chosen is quite embellished and I would rather not have side seams.

For those that have sewn it,would it be possible to cut the skirt in one piece with only a centre back seam?

The pattern pieces do not appear shaped at first look.

I have plenty of fabric so I would cut it length ways.

Any help gratefully accepted.

~Nicole~

LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

Hi Nicole,

I just put this skirt together tonight. I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to cut the skirt in one piece. The pieces are straight cuts and not shaped. Makes me wonder why the pieces were designed as three separate and not a single cut.

Hope this helps!

Kelly

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Awesome!

Thank you so very much!

I dare say it is designed that way to conserve fabric?

You are so kind to get back to me,I am literally hovering over my cutting board,I am so ridiculously excited to make this dress.

xxxx Nicole

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

If the fabric will allow it Nicole, I wouldn’t even abolish the side seam allowances when you cut. It will give just a smidge more gather as the skirt isn’t a full one. But only if the embellished fabric will allow it mind.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

… and now we’re all ridiculously excited to see it!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Absolutely. It’s only a Dirndl. I just did it for a size 2 in Liberty with plenty of room to spare. My fabric for Tinkerbell was only 44″ but i wanted less fullness and just cut the width of the fabric. For larger sizes, You might loose some of the fullness, but that could work. I couldn’t get it in one piece in the size 6 with the cotton voile. However, if I were short on fabric, or using something expensive, I wouldn’t mind loosing a little fullness.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Can’t wait to see Zara’s dress!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thank you Lovely Ladies!

I am feeling the sewing love.

xx Nicole

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.