Oliver + S

Fairytale dress bodice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • LINK
    Tassiemum @Tassiemum

Has anyone made a muslin bodice for the fairytale dress yet? I made up a test bodice in size 5 for my daughter and tried it on her and there was no way it was going to fit when done up. Her chest measurement was in between a size 5 and 6 so I made size 5 and I am glad I did a test one first. I know the bodice is fitted but she fits well in a size 5 in all the other oliver + s dress patterns. I will try a size 6 and see if that fits.

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

When you measure her chest, do you measure around the chest across her pectoral muscles, under her arms, and around the back? Thanks for this. post, I have been thinking about the muslin bodice. I was thinking about not doing it. What fabric are you using? Are you doing a tulle layer?

LINK
    Tassiemum @Tassiemum

Yes that is where I measure. She has quite broad shoulders so her chest is broad too. I have made another muslin out of a similar cotton fabric to what ii am going to use. I put the zip in this one so I can get a true indication. Hopefully this one will fit. I would definitely recommend sewing a muslin first. I am making the dress with cotton fabric with a lawn lining. I am not going to add the tulle to the skirt.

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

Yes, please, please, please anyone reading this post: to be really happy with how your dress turns out, make sure to make a bodice muslin to get the best fit. It’s more important to do it for this style than for any pattern we’ve every published before. That’s why we say prominently on the envelope to measure accurately and make a muslin first.

Don’t shortcut this step. You may get lucky and find the bodice fits perfectly. But more likely, you’ll not be completely happy with the result if you skip this step.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Question about the muslin — is it necessary to go as far as installing a lining and a zipper? Or can I just cut the front and two back bodices, close the darts, baste it all together, and hold it together in back while she tries it on?

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I am wondering the same thing about the zipper.

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

Sarvi, the lining is most likely not needed and I would baste in a zipper in the back to get a good idea of what I’m up for.

I am taking an online class in couture sewing that I intend to apply here. Mark the seam lines on you muslin (run the pieces through your machine w contrasting thread and stitch all seam lines, alternatively draw them in w a marker), then cut wide seam allowances and baste it all together and baste in a zipper.

That way you can let go of the dress and get a good look from all sides and let A move around in it to see what alters you need to make.

I really want to get startwd but I’m still debating paper vs pdfs for patterns.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Lattemama- would you share this info on the online sewing class???

Jenny

LINK
    Tassiemum @Tassiemum

I think we need someone to do a tutorial on this.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

That’s super helpful, thank you Lotta!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

With a muslin you don’t need to make the lining or install the zipper. Just cut the front and back from fabric and baste them together. Then pin them at the back (use safety pins so no one gets poked) to do a fitting. Lattemama’s got it right. In fact, if you’re doing the sleeveless version you can even cut off the seam allowances or fold them back so you can see the armhole better. Do the same with the neck too, just to be sure you like the neckline. It’s also a great idea to cut the collar from a single layer of fabric and attach it so you can make any changes to the collar shape.

It’s really a very simple process, and I’ll do a tutorial for you as soon as I’m able. I’d also like to film a class for Creative Bug with more details. But if someone has time to do a blog post about it in the meantime please let us know!

LINK
    Tassiemum @Tassiemum

Just tried on the size 6 but it is still a little tight across the chest and shoulder blades and I want her to be comfortable in it. Will try a size 7 but I am worried that the sleeves will then be too big.

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

Jenny – I’m taking this class: http://www.craftsy.com/class/The-Couture-Dress/53 via Craftsy.

So far I have only gotten to the fitting of the muslin part and I have no idea when I’ll be able to fit that dress making into my sewing pipe line but that’s all good. I have gotten so many tips watching just these first few chapters.

If no one else does I can take some pictures when I get to the Fairy Tale dress for my girls.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I’m tempted to buy the digital pattern just to know now but my paper one is on its way and by the time it gets here, I’ll have the time to sit and play with it – and maybe have a tutorial to read too? Great idea for the tutorial and that online course looks terrific too.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

My apologies if you have already seen this http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2011/11/thai-traveller.html this was my muslin for my Lisette dress. It is very simple but a wonderful fitting tool.

A muslin does not take that long. I stressed and put it off but it was surprisingly quick.

~Nicole~

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.