Oliver + S

Fairy Tale with Buttons on Back

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    arlyna @arlyna

Hi! I am sewing this pattern for my daughter for her First Holy Communion and wonder if anyone has done the back with buttons instead of the zipper approach?

Thanks.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

You will need to draft a button placket. You could use one of the patterns with buttons for a guide. I’d be inclined to just button the bodice and not all the way down, but it’s really all a matter of preference. I just finished a Communion dress for one of my sons classmates. What are you making it out of? I’ve made it for Communn in cotton organdy as well as eyelet.

LINK
    arlyna @arlyna

Thank you @melelizza for the tip. Yes was thinking of using Hide-&-Seek for the button placket and just have buttons on the bodice as per your suggestion. I’m using embroidered organdy layered with a plain organdy and lined with cotton. For the bodice I plan to use cotton as my daughter is a bit sensitive with non-cotton fabric. Would love to see your version 🙂

LINK
    DebbyJ @DebbyJ

Can anyone provide a little more detail on how to change the back of the Fairy Tale dress from a zippered closing to a button closing? I’ve read the post that says to use a pattern with buttons for a guide, but I’m not exactly sure where to start or how to do that. This is for a First Communion dress, and I’d really love to use the Fairy Tale dress for this project. I just don’t want to have to tackle that invisible zipper again if I can help it. I’d like to the use a cotton organza overlay for the bodice and skirt, and the thought of having to put that zipper in over multi layers of cloth sends lightning bolts through my brain.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I think the problem with a button placket would be that it will need to cross the waist seam. Since the bodice and waistline are fairly fitted I’m not sure a partial button placket would allow you to get the waist past shoulders or hips.
    My very first fairy tale dress was a sheer crinkly fabric which I underlined and then lined. It wasn’t any more tricky to set the zip on that one…..
    I’ll try and link to the dress later

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Here it is. It wasn’t the most invisible of invisible zippers
    O+S Fairy Tale Dress - back view

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Basting is your friend Debby 🙂

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Do you mean organdy? I’m always terrified that the buttonholes will go wonky and completely ruin an expensive and beautiful project. Truth be told, I use a hand picked zipper for special things like this. It’s extremely strong, allows me the most control and I don’t have to worry about buttonholes ruining the fabric. It’s worth a little extra effort to make sure it turns out nicely. In fact, after a little practice, I can actually do one as quickly as an invisible zipper. An invisible zipper will work perfectly fine too, but personally I wouldn’t make fine expensive fabric my first (or even third) attempt with an invisible zip. The instructions in Fairy Tale are the best I’ve ever read, but it does still take a little practice.

For buttons, you would do only the bodice and leave a slit in the skirt portion. The bodice will overlap when buttoned, closing the gap in the skirt. However, I also have doubts that buttons would really look nice in this fitted design.

@arlyna
    some of my white dresses were on the blog yesterday.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by meleliza.
    LINK
    DebbyJ @DebbyJ

Thanks to everyone who replied. Looks like I’m going to bite the bullet and use a zipper. Meleliza, since the dress is going to have an organdy overlay, I’m leaning toward taking your advice and use a hand picked zipper. Keep your fingers crossed!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Basting will still be your friend, as Nicole says. Also, for a hand picked zipper, a 1/2″ seam allowance isn’t really enough. I widen the center back seam allowance to 1″. I prefer the YKK lightweight or children’s zipper to the coats and clark ones. It’s more flexible and interferes less with the natural drape of the fabric.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.