Oliver + S

Facing snafu – help!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    nancy @dollfancier

Oh, help! I checked the errata + other posts on this but can’t find any mention of the problem I’m having.

Is it possible that part of the facing is too big (I’m sewing sizes 6-12m and 12-18m)? I clip the curves on everything so I can get both pieces to lay out flat/straight. Then, when I pin the facing to the bodice (sandwiching the collar in-between), I end up with approx. 1/2″ extra facing on each side.

I’ve made this jacket in these sizes before–and fussed with adding the facing by ooching and tweaking because I figured the extra fabric must have something to do with going around the curve of the collar. However, this time I’ve damaged part of the bodice (when I trimmed the seam allowances after adding the facing) because I didn’t notice I had caught some of the bodice, near the shoulder in with the collar/facing. If I could sew it in one straight go, I think there would be less chance to make that mistake.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have made both these sizes twice and I cannot remember a problem Nancy,sorry!

Just off the cuff….are you folding too much of the front edge around? Try pinning the centre back,match shoulder seams and then smooth the front double breasted out,does that make sense?

I do remember easing and clipping and really using that stay stitching!

Good luck

x Nicole

LINK
    nancy @dollfancier

dear Nicole, that makes sense. I will try it(I already have a 2nd one to this point in the construction). Thanks!

So to make sure I understand, there will be a lot of easing the facing into the curve of the neckline, yes?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Yes Nancy,from memory(my poor sleep deprived memory)I stretched the interfacing to allow more give. I was looking at Missy’s today and it looks fine from the outside.

PS I had a look at your Etsy shop today,beautiful packaging and I am very pleased to see someone charging a proper price for quality garments.

Oliver+s should be very proud to have you in their boutique program.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

PPS,Where the bodice was damaged,could you darn it and make a little brooch to pin over it?

LINK
    nancy @dollfancier

o, Nicole, THANK you. For your support AND for looking in on my shop (just opened)!!!

and for the damaged jacket, I think I will darn it. There must be some way to rescue it! ‘Tis yellow with a diamond quilting weave–so pretty! I have more of that fabric. Thanks for the encouragement. xoxo

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Agreed, just had a look and your items are lovely. They’ll make wonderful heirlooms for some lucky child.

LINK
    nancy @dollfancier

thank you for taking a look and such a wonderful compliment, Sarvi.

LINK
    nancy @dollfancier

I rescued the little yellow jacket! Piccies here>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/44502054@N03/sets/72157627645724305/

The holes were sooooo tiny and right next to the collar. I darned them like you suggested, Nicole, and they disappeared. Then I pulled out some sweet lace for the ‘cover up.’

Most importantly, I understand the construction snafu now. With help from Nicole and my sewing buddy (‘C’), I now realise that the stay-stitching on the yoke had shortened it (I didn’t stay-stitch the facing; I think that’s why they didn’t match). Now I can sew this pattern w/o apprehension. :o)

xo, Nancy

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.