Oliver + S

Facing against grain

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    housecall @housecall

Would it be terrible to cut the shirt facing against grain? I made a cutting error and I only have enough contrast fabric if I cut it that way. I know it’s not ideal, but will it be a disaster?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Nope, go for it!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

The only time I got caught out cutting against the grain was with a silk Birthday Party dress.
    I cut the ties, one side with the grain one side against, and the against side stretched a bit.

Handle it carefully and it should be fine

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

Agree – it should be fine

LINK
    housecall @housecall

Thank you. This is my redo pair for my 4 year old son after his planned Christmas pair went missing before he received them. So, I’d like to finish without issue. 🙂

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

In general, it’s fine to cut across the grain. The cross grain and length grain (weft and warp) are ALMOST interchangeable in many instances. Cross grain with have more stretch, and length grain is usually stronger and may drape a little better. But if you’re working with cotton and kids clothes, there really won’t be too much of a difference. Just FYI.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.