Oliver + S

Fabric shopping in London

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • LINK
    Emily @Emily

I’m leaving for London in about a week and plan to do some serious fabric shopping while I’m there. My list currently includes:

Liberty (of course)

Cloth House

Borovick’s

Shaukat & Co

The V&A

The Fashion and Textile Museum

What else is there I can’t miss? I’ve been to London a half dozen times so I’m pretty familiar with the city, but I’ve never gone with fabric shopping on the agenda. If there’s a real gem that’s not sewing-related, I’d love to hear about it! In terms of the fabric I’m looking for: coating for several coats for my daughter, wool suiting, knit fabrics (just got a new serger), and buttons, ribbons, trims, and other findings. It’s pretty easy to find lovely quilting cotton in Seattle, so I’m less interested in that.

Thanks!

LINK
    Jaxe @Jaxe

I suggested this store to a friend and she emailed me the following.

“I recently returned from England, and while in London I visited Shaukat Fabrics. It is always a bit of an adventure in London to find a place with just the address to go on–never know quite how to get there, but I found it. It is a relatively small store on two floors and packed with fabrics, linens, and even a room with jewelry. There was, indeed, a huge selection of Liberty fabrics with lots and lots of remnants. I bought a small piece, and within a couple of hours was shopping in Liberty. I thought Shaukat’s fabrics might have been discontinued patterns, but not so, for I saw the same fabric I bought. However, it was five pounds more expensive at Liberty. Thanks for the tip; it was a fun excursion.”

http://www.shaukat.co.uk/ataglance.asp

Have fun.

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

No suggestions, I’m afraid – just want to say “you lucky thing!!”

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I wish I hadn’t seen this thread — I have a friend coming to visit from London and have been using every ounce of will not to ask for mule services.

LINK
    Emily @Emily

Bumping this to the top – I leave in about 36 hours! I’m super excited to hit everything on my list, and more! Jaxe, thanks for confirming the recommendation for Shaukat & Co. I’m pretty stoked to pick up some Liberty.

Anything else? Anyone?

LINK
    littlebirdy @littlebirdy

Hi Emily, hope this isn’t too late.

Try marylebone high street. There’s an amazing shop called VV Rouleaux that sells all kinds of ribbons and trims. It’s heaven. The conran shop is there too.

Loads of amazing shops around spitalfields market, as well as the market itself.

Borough market is really great for food.

Good luck. Let me know how you get on,

Robyn

LINK
    littlebirdy @littlebirdy

Oh and Islington high street is fab. Angel tube. Not especially for fabric – but great inspiration. It has the crafts council gallery there too. That’s lovely. There’s a yummy restaurant called Ottolenghi’s. Delicious!

Make sure you have a wander around in covent garden, too. It’s a walk from Liberty’s.

x

LINK
    littlebirdy @littlebirdy

The V and A is incredible. You’ll love it.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Oh yes, V&A is amazing. Just watched Young Victoria the other night and it gave me a greater appreciation for this incredible couple. The museum is aptly named.

BTW, Have you seen the new V&A print books? They come as a set, I think. Each includes a disk of the prints.

So jealous, Emily! Have fun.

LINK
    Emily @Emily

Thanks for the VV Rouleaux recommendation, Robyn. I’ll definitely check it out. What is the conran shop? I’m also interested in the crafts council gallery. Is it open to the public?

I saw an exhibit at the V&A a few years ago with an original Clare McCardell dress, which was pretty fabulous, but I’m looking forward to doing some more in-depth exploration there. We’ll definitely hit up Bourough Market (if only for the PieMinister) and Covent Garden.

Is Spitalfields the one that used to be a meat market and has been converted into lots of little shops? I studied so much architecture during my term in London that it all runs together a bit now, years later.

I’m doing my final packing now (we leave in the morning) and I’ve packed an extra, empty suitcase to bring home fabric in. Reason #246 it’s good to pack light: more room for stuff on the way home!

LINK
    claireabel @claireabel

Emily, the meat market is Smithfields, near Farringdon. Spitalfields is east end – near Liverpool St station. I used to visit it every Sunday and cried on my last visit when I moved away from the UK 🙁

Have fun shopping. Sewing is a new hobby of mine so I missed the opportunity to fabric shop in London – damn! When my mum visited I went to Borovicks and Liberty with her and was impressed – even for a non-sewer!

Oh how I would love a pair of ruby slippers to visit there again. The other thing on my wish-list is a visit to Purl Soho in NY. One day perhaps…

LINK
    littlebirdy @littlebirdy

Crafts council is open to the public. Be warned . . . the shop is amazing. If this isn’t too late – buy time out magazine when you get here. It has listings of all the exhibitions etc.

LINK
    Emily @Emily

TimeOut was the first thing on my agenda. Couldn’t find one ANYWHERE in the US – not even Manhattan!! I’ve also figured out my mobile phone and picked up a copy of The Guardian. Fabric shopping day is Tuesday. Yay!

I’m really excited about the crafts council shop. I need to find something lovely to bring back to our nanny, so that might be just the place to look.

LINK
    Emily @Emily

I’m back!

Fabric pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/emilysteed/sets/72157624989453132/with/5004543687/

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I had a wonderful time.

LINK
    claireabel @claireabel

Hi, I’m Claire and I’d like to be your new best friend 😛

What gorgeous fabrics!!! Enjoy them. Have you got plans for what you will make with them?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.