Oliver + S

Fabric Scrooge's Reference

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Sometimes I cut an Oliver + S pattern out of a teeny bit of fabric and then think I really must record how much fabric is truly needed for next time. Often those fabrics are odd shaped leftovers so the measurements would be meaningless. But with real width yardage it is worth noting, so instead of a list at my house, I thought I’d start a list here. Feel free to add to it.

Then, when I’m out and about and I spot a lovely remnant, or a rather expensive bit of fabric, I can refer here to see what my fellow fabric Scrooges could do with such a piece, or how little I could get away with buying. (I appreciate that the fabric guide accounts for directional patterned fabric and is generous, but I just keep having leftover bits, that then need a new bit of fabric to complete them into an outfit, then I have more leftovers… ad nauseum)

Here’s one I’ve just cut out

1: Size 4 Secret Agent. Lengthened coat (not sleeves) by 1.5″, normal width

44″ fabric. used 1&2/3 yard

may not work for a fabric with a directional pattern (that is; I cut two pieces “upside down”, although I think I would have only added about 3″ if I hadn’t)

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

What a great idea! I’m often working with odd thrifited lengths of material or leftovers. Next time I cut a badminton skirt I’ll have to do this. If you had a photo of how you laid out the patten it would be great to upload to the flicker group and then link back here, so if someone else is trying to do the same they can see how it was done. Just an idea.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Great idea and I am happy to contribute as long as people use it as a guide only and no one comes ’round and keys my car if it doesn’t work out.

When in doubt,follow the pattern recommendations.

~Nicole~

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I do agree with Nicole! It’s wonderful when I have left over fabric from one bought project but I would not count on it every time. Like when I just cut out the bigger boys’ sleepover pj’s I had enough left over to make the baby a pair of pj’s in each print. It wonderful I was able to do this but if I had one way farbic or had to match prints I wouldn’t have been able to do this. Just something to keep in mind.

~Sharon~

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Ooh this is a great idea! Especially when I want to make something but am short a bit of yardage!

LOL Nicole, I think if you’ve made it work, it’s pretty well tested!

LINK

Secret Agent size 4 layout as described in original post (for non directional patterned fabric). It was tight but it worked perfectly. http://www.flickr.com/photos/79480359@N03/7856717620/in/photostream

LINK
    Mel @Mel

This is a great thread! Last night, I was able to cut the smaller size of the cape from Little Things to Sew out of a yard of 42″ wide (after washing) quilting cotton. (The book calls for 1 1/2 yards).

LINK

Good job Mel. I’m yet to make this but I’ve already spied the fabric I’ll use. Could you comment on whether directional patterned fabric would make a difference. (ie did you cut anything upside down or sideways)

I’ve just discovered that the small (and therefore extra small as well) bucket hat can be cut from a fat quarter of each fabric.

LINK

Good job Mel. I’m yet to make this but I’ve already spied the fabric I’ll use. Could you comment on whether directional patterned fabric would make a difference. (ie did you cut anything upside down or sideways)

I’ve just discovered that the small (and therefore extra small as well) bucket hat can be cut from a

fat quarter of each fabric. Every pattern piece right way up.

LINK
    Mel @Mel

Oh, yeah. I did have to cut a few pieces upside down so that wouldn’t work for a directional print. Here’s a picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50842074@N08/7887267456/in/photostream

(please ignore the ugly towel! I trace my patterns onto freezer paper and cut them on my glass kitchen table — I use the towel underneath when I iron the pieces down).

LINK
    mle bb @mle bb

ok I am a big fabric scrooge and as a quilter i end up having smaller cuts of fabric and lots of scraps. Sooooo thank you for starting this thread and i can’t wait to contribute! Today i was cutting out the Badminton Skort size 12-18 months and i took a pic of how I cut it out. i wanted the shorts under the skirt to be a solid fabric (saves a bit of money as the prints i buy usually cost more) so i ended up using a 1/2 yard of print fabric for the skirt and a 1/4 yard of solid fabric for the shorts and have some left over. (note in the picture i laid my already cut pieces on some other fabric to show how i cut it out).

Here’s the picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36064249@N03/7916066910/in/photostream

LINK

I’ve just discovered that the 1/2 metre of 44″ wide quilting cotton required for making the bias binding for the Secret Agent Trench Coat leaves enough left over to line a matching size Large bucket hat. – even if the bias binding was just cut smack out of the middle to make the strips as long as possible.

Now the whole Inspector Gadget outfit is complete!

LINK

Pictures of Inspector Gadget, please!

LINK

I’ve actually been trying to think of where, in my beautiful city, is there an old fashioned lamp post to stand my inspector under!

LINK

I have just cut a size 8 Secret Agent Trench coat and one side of a large bucket hat (ie the 3 pieces for one side) out of 2m of material, I think it was 112 wide, but I just realised I forgot to check!!. I have a photo and will get it up onto flicker. I only cut one of the two sets of cuff pieces upside down and since 2 of them go attached to the sleeves they won’t be seen. I did cut the side and brim of the bucket hat at right anges to the grain but they are both going the same way.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.