Oliver + S

Fabric Scrooge's Reference

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

With a bit of careful pattern placement I cut a size 2 Family Reunion Dress and the casing and bow for a Size 2 Croquet Dress out of 1 metre of 44″ quilting cotton.

(wouldn’t have worked for a directional patterned fabric)

LINK
    wendy @wendyls

I just eeked out a size 4 Jump Rope dress (view B) from 1 yard of 44″ cotton, directional to boot. There was a bit of victorious fist pumping, for sure.

Also, I recently cut a School Days jacket (size 3, lengthened) out of barely over 1 yard of 58″ fabric, also directional. I’m thinking I could cut a smaller (size 2?) out of the remainder of the original 2 yards. Or many, many reusable food bags…

I’m very pleased about the coat, since it means that doing up a wool version won’t cost quite as much as expected.

LINK

Wow, good job on the Jump Rope dress. I just ordered 2 yards of fabric online without the pattern to hand, thinking I’d need more than 1 yard for a size 2 Jump Rope View A. Looks like I’ll have plenty of leftover (although it is a more fabric hungry version of the pattern).

I love this japanese hat pattern for the leftover wool from a School Days Coat: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79480359@N03/7526772376/in/set-72157630476996742/

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

I cut the field trip cargo pants in a size 6 – 12 months, from micro french twill 60″ wide, washed and dried in 22″ of fabric. http://www.flickr.com/photos/27084526@N02/8147643526/in/photostream

LINK

For the house fabric in the puppet theatre, if one was to buy extra wide quilt backing as I did (the blender/texture looks a bit like coloured concrete render in my opinion) you only need to buy about 30inches as the width of the fabric is plenty for the length of the house.

Of course I didn’t think of that at the time, so now I’ve got a lot of leftover weird, pinkish fabric….

LINK

Not that anyone is likely to require this exact combination, but I just cut a size 2 Jump Rope view A (parallel to grain), a size 3 Music class skirt (perpendicular to grain), and the front and inside pockets for a LTTS Penguin backpack (parallel to grain). All from just 2 yards of fabric. Yay me! Happy fabric Scrooge here.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Size 2t fairy tale dress with sleeves and collar takes just under 1 yd of Liberty, which I think is about 54″ wide. Size 3 should fit in 1 yd too.

LINK

These two cuttings-outs were unusual sized leftover fabrics, but oh, so satisfying.

Tight fabric scrooge-ing; Size 5 Field Trip Cargo Pants: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79480359@N03/8554448782/in/photostream/

Gold medal winning Fabric Scrooge-ing: Size 2 After School Pants: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79480359@N03/8554449816/in/photostream/

Not of any use as a reference. But perhaps encouraging for others in that sometimes it just takes a bit of determination and jigsaw puzzle skills to use up that remnant!

LINK
    aprilshowers @aprilshowers

I was just able to squeeze out a size 7 Hopscotch Shirt, long-sleeve out of 1/2 yard of wide-width knit. The best part is that the fabric was free. I had originally ordered 1 yard from fabric.com and they contacted me afterwards to let me know they only had 2 1/2 yard pieces and did I still want it. I replied “no”, they credited me the amount I had paid for it and sent it anyway! I couldn’t make the dress I originally wanted to make but will make 2 shirts for my girls.

Awesome customer service and great pattern!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Size 8 field trip cargos with double knees from 155cm of 112cm wide pinwale cord! had since I had 3m I could make 2 pairs, due to the way I cut it! 155cm is 60″ or 1.7 yds.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Size 3 rollers skate tunic from 1/2 yard of 44″ wide double gauze. It’s ever so slightly short.

LINK
    aprilshowers @aprilshowers

I bought the required 1 1/2 yards of 44″ cotton for the size 7 Popover Dress and was able cut get a size 4 Popover out of the same piece of fabric since they’re relatively narrow pieces.

LINK

Nice fabric scrooging folks. I love how, rather than buying less fabric, we just cut more clothes from what we buy!

Regarding the School Days Coat and the quilted vest option: Up to and including size 5, the vest can be made with 44″ quilting cotton folded selvedge to selvedge and then quilted. The size 6 and above is too big to fold in that direction and so requires considerably more fabric. Learnt the hard way.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Just cut out a size 8 sketchbook shirt from the remainder of the above yellow cord. I cut the yoke, cuffs and collar perpendicular to the grain as per RTW I saw on the net.

I even lengthened the body by 5″ and the sleeves by 2″!

So one pair of Cord cargos in size 8 with double knees and a lengthened size 8 sketchbook shirt all from 3m of fabric, Yay!

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Looking forward to seeing this, H. Sometimes necessity makes us daring, doesn’t it?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.