Oliver + S

Fabric requirements

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    RachelAHC @RachelAHC

I noticed that online all of the sizes list the same fabric requirements–3 1/4 yards regardless of fabric width. Is this accurate? Seems like a lot for a tunic and I promised my mum one in Tana Lawn for her birthday.

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

Rachel, yes, the fabric requirements chart is correct.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’ve just started dipping my toe in the pool of adult sized clothing and I noticed the same thing — I think adult clothes work differently because you need a certain minimum length of the yardage in order to be able to fit the pieces correctly on grain. I think that if you tried to do with less you might find you had to cut something at a weird angle or on the cross grain and it just wouldn’t be quite right. That is what I am finding so far.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

(But depending on how it all works out, you might be able to make something delicious in a child size from the negative space of your mum’s tunic!)

LINK
    RachelAHC @RachelAHC

Thanks! Hopefully I’ll have enough left to eke something out for my daughter (so she can match Granny!)

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I am not sure of this pattern but a dress pattern of mine the skirt pieces the fabric has to be open all the way for a full piece cut out. Perhaps this is the case with this pattern as well.

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

Liberty is wide– 53″ I think, so you’ll have a bunch left over. Choose something you both like!!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Its a shock how much you will need but usually there are good sized pieces for another ‘little’ outfit.

Don’t forget to make sure you check which way the pattern is running, sometimes you can ‘flip’ pieces sometime not!

(Or you will have fairies on their heads, yup, I haves done that)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.