Oliver + S

Fabric Help

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    scgoble @scgoble

Calling all fabric wizards – I came across this Marc Jacobs sweater and MUST make something with these huge dots. Have you seen such a thing? I’d like knit, but will take anything. I’ve been searching but am coming up empty-handed.

http://www.shopbop.com/daphne-dot-sweater-marc-by/vp/v=1/1566404182.htm?folderID=2534374302023816&s_kwcid=PTC%7Cpla%7C%7C%7C40769146697%7Cg%7C%7C15557953577&extid=SE_froogle_SC_usa-MARCJ4321934330

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I know, no one seems to manufacture fabrics with a really big repeat like that. I keep trying, but it’s generally considered to be a small part of the market and not as saleable. (Keep your fingers crossed–we just showed some GIANT prints for Lisette yesterday. I’d be so excited if they purchased the fabrics with that scale!)

HOWEVER, you could easily make dots like that with applique! The Mistyfuse would be perfect because it’s so lightweight. You could do raw-edge or needle-turn applique, depending on your wishes.

Does that help?

LINK
    paula @paula

Have you tried spoonflower.com? I’ve heard you can upload your own design and they will print it on fabric and ship it to you!

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

I’d probably do that with fabric paint and a stencil.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Ditto on fabric paint and stencil!

LINK
    scgoble @scgoble

I didn’t even consider making it myself, but now that you mention it I might try designing something on Spoonflower.

Liesl, I hope the large prints are a go for your collection. I love large scale prints, especially for summer. I think large images lend themselves well to flowy maxi dresses and such.

LINK
    scgoble @scgoble

So, if anyone cares 🙂 I did end up finally designing a giant polka dot fabric on Spoonflower. I haven’t ordered it yet but will be sure to report back on how it turns out. http://www.spoonflower.com/designs/2876434

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Sweet! Please do report back. I ordered some photo ‘labels’ — just a fat quarter with a repeat of a small photo of my kid — and it’s a little more fun than writing her name with a sharpie on the tags provided in her school uniforms. Spoonflower is a lot of fun.

LINK
    scgoble @scgoble

What a fabulous idea! Definitely going to try that.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.