Oliver + S

embellishing the collar

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

I just had a crazy, last minute thought, for a blouse for my daughter’s Christmas outfit. I was thinking of making a white, music class blouse but embellishing the collar. Something like this:

http://www.jcrew.com/girls_category/collectibletees/PRDOVR~30964/30964.jsp?srcCode=PINT00001

I’ve sewn sequins in the past, but wanted to seek the input of all you brillant sewists before starting this, in hopes that I might actually finish it. And avoid as many hiccups in the process as possible.

Any ideas on how I could achieve this look? I’ve looked at sequin material in my area, but been less than impressed with the quality. Any thoughts or experience would be so appreciated!

Hollie

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Hi Holly, the project sound so wonderful I wonder how it will go down at this end with my girl. I would tackle this as if it were a piece of hand embroidery. I would have the piece meant for the collar interfaced so that it provides stability for the sequins and I would use a fabric marker that will come out with water (as the air ones go too quick and you need the marks for later). I would draw the collar pattern aligning the grain onto the piece of fabric and mark the seam allowance.

Do you plan to sew them on by hand or with the machine? Either way I think that by following the contours of the pattern piece you shouldn’t get into bother that way.

Then once you have sewn the sequins on using your method, cut the pieces out along the cutting line and using the seam allowance line, pin and sew the under side of the collar to the sequinned top and there you have it.

You would have to be careful sewing the two together in order to not catch the very edge row of sequins but other than that it should be fairly straight forward.

Can’t wait for you to show us!

Tamara

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

To make this collar,I would embroider it once finished. It may not be as neat underneath but so much easier.

When I sew sequins I buy tiny beads in the matching colour,sew up through the sequin,through the bead and back through the sequin,that holds it in place.

I found (for myself) it is really hard to sew randomly,my brain wants to sew straight lines,so I would mark the positions first.

I did that with this tee here http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/7478996234/in/photostream

I hope I am not just ‘stating the obvious’

~Nicole~

LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

Tamara and Nicole, you have already been so helpful! See? This is why I post. Sometimes I can’t think the process through because I’m so excited by “the idea”. I think I’ll try sewing them by hand, using Nicole’s method, after the collar is partially sewn (curved edge) so that I don’t catch any sequins in the seam allowance. Or maybe even wait until the blouse is complete?

I’ll keep you posted on how this goes. I haven’t even looked for sequins or beads yet. That could possibly be my biggest obstacle with this project. Other than getting it cut out……

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Here’s a Threads magazine article on sewing sequined fabric, but you may need to join to read all of it http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/22753/how-to-sew-with-sequin-covered-fabric.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

That collar reminded me of a class picnic that Nicole made one of the twins a while ago, If I remember correctly it had MOP buttons on the yoke. It did, here it is.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/6821545939/

LINK
    scgoble @scgoble

I can’t wait to see the finished product! I can’t believe that sweater is only $50 – I can only imagine how many cuss words would erupt as I sewed on sequins.

LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

meleliza, thanks for the link. I will check it out tonight when I have fewer distractions. Looks like I do need to join to read it.

Heidi, I LOVE that embellished class picnic Nicole made! Of course, I love everything she makes. MOP buttons are my favorite.

scgoble, I was so tempted to buy it. Especially after spending ALL morning (and half of the afternoon) looking for the right sequins, sequin fabric and beads. Surely half my day is worth $50?!? I keep telling myself that she needs a true white blouse, not ivory. Or navy or flame. And, I could really use a good sewing challenge, provided it turns out wearable. I have a feeling that these sequins will cause me to cuss like a sailor. This should be interesting…..

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thank you Girls,swollen head for me today!

Sewing the sequins is rather soothing,once you get going you develop a system.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I think I want one of these embellished collars for myself now.

LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff
    LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh wow! That’s pretty!

LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

Okay, 7 days later, here is what I’ve come up with:

music class in progress

Not even close to the original. I couldn’t find “the right” sequins. I’m not sure if I’ll continue or not. I’m not loving it. On the up side, the 5 year old loves it and keeps asking if it’s done yet.

LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

So, it turned out pretty good. She’ll wear it (which is a small miracle) and I’m finding it can be dressed up or casual. Can you tell I’m proud of myself? 😉 Here’s what I did, for those interested:

I made the blouse following the pattern. I used Imperial Broadcloth for the blouse. I figured it needed some polyester since I wouldn’t be able to iron the collar once the sequins were on. I used a really lightweight interfacing for the collar. I used baby interfacing from Farmhouse Fabrics. It’s really great quality, never bubbles or shrinks.

I used 8mm sequins and clear glass beads. I hand stitched them on the finished collar randomly, overlapping so that some had more dimension. I used almost exactly 400 sequins for a size 6 collar. I kept my sequins on the collar itself and tried not to stitch any inside of the collar (where it rolls to create the collar stand). Having a finished blouse really helped me to know where sequins would rub against her neck and where they wouldn’t. I think it took me about 8 hours to sequin.

I’m happy to report there was no swearing while sequining. Just a brief time, in the beginning, when I wondered if I really liked it or not.

I just washed it, by machine on gentle and hung it to dry. All sequins were still intact. And the spots of blood (from a bloody nose) and some random ink from writing a letter came right out. I’m so happy that it washes so well.

Thanks to all you wonderful forum sewists for your ideas and encouragement!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

That collar is amazing! The blood nose bit made me think of ‘Ah summer, blood nose season’, but then I realised that your not in summer! (I think) Glad the stains washed out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.