Oliver + S

Ease through the Body

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I am about to draft these off for Tildy. I would like them to fit now, not too bothered about growth room as I have Trixie to hand them down to.

Her height puts her in a 4 but her waist puts her in a 12-18 mnth. Her hip aligns to the 18-24 mnth.
    I am leaning towards the size 2T with the length of a 4 but will they be impossibly baggy?

Is there anyone who has made the smaller sizes that can help me?
    Thank you!

LINK
    vothgirl @vothgirl

I just finished a size 2T yesterday! Ellie’s measurements are pretty similar: waist 12-18m or 18-24m, hips 18-24m, height 3T+. I made the 2T and just added length to the bottom panels. If I wanted them to fit perfectly right now, I would’ve only added about an inch (I added 3″). I made the elastic in the waist a bit loose too, it won’t fall down below her diaper but I may buy a belt for her for now. They’re definitely a wider-legged pant than the after school, but they’re not awkwardly baggy on her. I am guessing it depends on what kind of fabric you use too. With all the topstitching they’re a labour of love but I definitely want to make them again! I can’t wait to see yours!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Patricia, thank you, that is just what I was after.
    So, you went with her height (+ extra) and that was plenty long enough? Her height, 3T, would have been perfect now?

LINK
    vothgirl @vothgirl

if I would’ve gone with her height, yes I would’ve made a size 3T and they would have been the perfect length. However, she’s so slim that even the 2T is plenty wide, especially since I didn’t cinch the waist elastic really snug. I was concerned that a 3T would be too baggy on her so that’s why I made the 2T with extra length. I think these will fit her for a good while, which is what I wanted since they’re quite the labor of love with all that topstitching!

I hope that makes sense 🙂

LINK
    vothgirl @vothgirl

This project reaffirmed my love for handmade clothing, especially the aspect of being able to customize a pattern to fit non-average-sized bodies! RTW pants are difficult for Ellie bc her waist and height fall into very different “typical” age categories. I love being able to make clothes that fit well and look great! So different to the frustration that often accompanies shopping retail…tho don’t get me wrong, I love to shop too! 😉 (Although fabric shopping is the best shopping!!)

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I have the same concern about the Art Museum pants. Last year I made 8s for Thanksgiving. Alex is still wearing them, but now just a touch short – kind of like 50s short. They were very long last year. However, the butt kind of poofs balloons on them even though he is grown. I am wondering do I do a 7 and add lots of length, or stick with the 8s and just add length. If I go up a size there will be too much ease in the rear. #nobubblebutts

LINK
    Stacibennett @Stacibennett

I made them a couple of months ago for J. She is 4 and her measurements are similar: She has a 21.5″ chest, 20.5″ waist, and 21.5″ hips, 39″ tall. From past experience, I know her torso runs long and her legs are short.
    For comparison, in the sleepover PJs (the only other pants I have made her), she is wearing a 3 on top and a 2 on bottom and I just uncuffed the pants.

I made the 3 straight up, figuring I could tighten the elastic as much as needed and hoping to get some good wear out of them. They are about 1.5″ too long, which I expected. And they are pretty baggy. I wish I had made the 2 and just lengthened a touch.

Hope that helps.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Last year I made two pairs of these, in pink and purple, for then 4 year old girl. I made them size 3 width with size 4 length which corresponded to her measurements then. They fit really well at the time.
    Eighteen months later they still fit really well and are worn regularly. I added a 4″ growth cuff which we let down 2″ this winter. She has grown at leat 4″ since last year but hasn’t grown out much at all!
    Pink and purple field trip cargos version 2
    Pink and purple field trip cargos

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thank you, so helpful.

@stacibennett
    that is food for thought!

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

When I made them last year for Jack, I was worried about making the straight 4 because I usually add length to everything. I ended up not adding length because I didn’t want to figure out exactly where to add, but they fit perfectly with room to grow height wise. They were definitely a baggy fit, so if you want them a little slimmer I would go with closer to her hip measurement. This is one of my top 3 favorite O+S patterns, you’ll love it!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

This is a great help!
    I made her up the tee in a size 2T with the length of a 4 and it is perfect in a very stretchy cotton/lyrca.
    As they are for now I am starting to wonder about a straight 2T for the trousers…. I don’t mind them a wee bit cropped.
    Hmmm, thanks gorgeous ladies!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.