Oliver + S

Dress length

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • LINK
    Becca @macaronquilts

I’m so new to garment sewing so I get so nervous to start new patterns. I’m excited about this dress, though! I’m tall (6’0″, one of the biggest reasons I want to sew clothes!), and finished length is really important to me. I want to make sure the dress hits the top of my knee. I’m getting ready to cut out my pattern now, and I just wonder how I should prepare to make it long enough. By bust measurements, I’m a size 10, but should I cut out the pieces for a larger size to get the length and then take in the sides during construction? I’m sure I’ll get the hang of adjusting for length eventually, just wondering if you had thoughts on this as I get started. Thanks!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Hi Becca.

If your bust puts you in a 10, draft the size 10.
    Does the pattern have lengthen/shorten lines? I have made it but can’t remember…

I am 5’3″ and I added a few inches to the hem (but I wanted a deep, weighty hem). The pattern has a slight A-line so if you want to accentuate that, add to the hem. If you don’t want that add to the pattern buy cutting and splicing https://oliverands.com/community/blog/2010/02/lengthening-and-shortening-a-pattern.html this post may be helpful.

Good luck!

LINK
    Becca @macaronquilts

Thanks @motherof5! The pattern doesn’t have lengthen lines, but I’ll check on that link and see where it might make sense to add one.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.