Oliver + S

Do you think I can eliminate the buttons from View B skirt back?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Cellistoo, I am currently making flower girls dresses using the Music Box pattern, and I eliminated the buttons from the back skirt. I don’t have a problem getting the dresses over the girls’ heads because I also lengthened the bodice, and it buttons all the way down to the skirt seam. To figure out the overlap, I used my Bubble Dress pattern, which has buttons only on the bodice. I think the overlap works out to roughly 1/2″-5/8″. It works very nicely. I also blind-stitched the yoke lining on so I didn’t have to worry about stitching in the ditch (because I ALWAYS end up with unstitched bits). I’ve made it before and stitched in the ditch, though, and in that case I have always just folded the lining so that it covers the seam and stitched it in place, not worrying about whether it is exactly 1/2′. As for the hem, I would just hem it like the pattern suggests – double fold, first 1/2″ and then 1″.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I feel so much better hearing that others also have trouble with stitching in the ditch. It drives me nuts that I always, always miss a spot, no matter how carefully I fold to cover the first stitching line.

I think my kid is thick skinned. When I was her age, having my curls brushed out was agony. She barely notices. Buttons down the back don’t bother her a bit, even quite thick ones. I try to stick to one special button at the top and flat shell buttons down the rest of the back because looking at it bothers me, more than wearing it bothers her.

LINK
    Cellisttoo @Cellisttoo

roundtheworldgirl, I think that the suggestion to lengthen the bodice would be the best with buttons. I am really leaning towards trying it with a zipper, I just wish I knew what the overlap was it would make altering the pattern so much easier.

The jumper is absolutely adorable & beautiful. I am having a hard time letting it go — to school— for fear of how it will be abused! HA!

I started looking for patterns to sew jumpers and skirts because my daugther hates not being able to wear pink. I found some links on-line to some “sneaky school uniforms” which were just what I was thinking – adding some pink on the inside! Since she goes to Chinese Immersion school, I found related fabrics such as pink panda, Michael Miller Chinese girls, etc to line the bodices, hems and pockets. I think these will make her feel more like a girly girl. And the school can’t exactly get upset if chinese themed fabric peeks out a little.

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

I’ve make the music box three times and just measured the overlap on all three– 1 1/8″

LINK
    Cellisttoo @Cellisttoo

Oh, thank you mkhs, that is so helpful. I can’t wait to see how the next one will turn out.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I make sneaky school uniforms for my chaps https://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/sets/72157636311723594/ and the Music Box pinafore is absolutely on my to-sew list.

LINK
    Cellisttoo @Cellisttoo

Nicole, your uniforms are the ones that inspired me and introduced me to Oliver + S patterns! If I can figure out how to post pictures I will post them of the jumper/pinafore I made. I do have to admit secretly that I liked the jumper better before I added the chunky panda buttons last night- they kind of detract from the delicate details of the dress. However, the 6 year has to wear it, not me and she is THRILLED!

My mom (a.k.a. sewing teacher) and I are already plotting about the next make-up of this jumper. This time with a zipper. Little Miss Cellisttoo will wear it to school for the first time tomorrow.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Really? Wow, what a buzz

Thank you!

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

RTheWG, I really like your idea of lengthening the bodice of the Music Box- one my favourite O + S patterns. So far, I’ve always done the buttons/holes, or press studs when I was running late last Xmas but it does take a lot of time, and corduroy is a pip of a fabric to buttonhole. How much further did you lengthen the bodice so that there was no problem getting over heads? Did you use a ratio formula, or by guess and golly?

So glad to know that Nicole’s subversive uniforms are encouraging other mamas; those school uniform shops do charge like wounded bulls.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I just remembered this tutorial on changing the library dress from buttons to a zip. I thought it might also be useful for the music box dress.

https://oliverands.com/blog/2013/11/changing-a-button-back-opening-to-an-invisible-zipper.html

LINK
    Cellisttoo @Cellisttoo

I came across the following which would be the ultimate school uniform sneak: http://www.ikatbag.com/2011/05/wings-deconstructed.html

Just wish it were an Oliver + S pattern!!

LINK
    Robin @Robin

You could start with the badminton skort and add the wings to that. It would be so fun as a school uniform.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Cellisttoo, I’ve made at least 8 of these winged skirts based on the badminton skirt pattern! Here’s 3 of them https://www.flickr.com/photos/73669617@N07/sets/72157631360853320/

They are very popular, I made one two years ago for my then 12 year old niece and she’s still wearing it regularly at 14! Another girl I made one for 2 years ago asked if I could teach here to make her own as she had grown out of her last one, she’s 8!

They are time consuming but not difficult. I recommend heat and bond light for placing the wing design elements before sewing them on. It’s a great opportunity to use the decorative stitches on your machine around the outside of the wing designs.

Please ask if you’ve got any questions and I’ll do my best to answer 🙂

If you lived close to me I have the wings drafted in Sizes 4, 6, 8 and 10/12!

LINK
    Cellisttoo @Cellisttoo

I finished a second jumper about a month ago with a zipper. It works perfectly and I would definitely go that route again. I was just ironing jumpers last night for my daughter. We have some from Dennis Uniforms. Lands End, and Children’s Place in addition to the ones that I made. OMG, I love this pattern even more now. It was so easy to iron and looked SOOOO nice when done. Just like it was brand new. These jumpers are just so sharp.

I ended whipping up some picnic shorts the weekend before school started that matched the sneaky fabrics of the jumper for the little one to wear for modesty. She loves them, and they probably make the teachers smile when she is doing the monkey bars. She goes to Chinese immersion school and I used these contrasting fabrics as jumper lining, pocket flap lining and on the stripes on the shorts to go with the Chinese theme- (made 2 sets one with each fabric):

http://www.fancymoon.co.uk/shop-by-brand/michael-miller-fabric/chinese-kids-oriental-cotton-fabric-by-michael-miller-7485.html

https://www.etsy.com/listing/191264759/mini-tiny-animal-print-fabric-by?ref=sr_gallery_5&ga_search_query=pink+panda+fabric&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

What sort of zip did you use? I have a partly finished view A and was just thinking I might like an invisible zip down the back, but only my bodice is lined. Somehow I think I need the skirt to be lined as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.