Oliver + S

Disney Dresses

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • LINK
    Darcy Struble @darcyjane

So this is a long ways away but we are going to Disney World in September this year with our daughter. I really want to make her an outfit to wear each day (I know that sounds crazy haha but I figured I would get everything planned right now and start sewing in Summer). I would love some ideas on different disney outfits that are not exactly costumes, which patterns to use/modify and fabrics that will travel well (or not wrinkle to badly).

Molly is two and she loves Mickey Mouse but not Minnie and she as far as princesses go, she loves Sofia the First and Rapunzel. I know I want one princess dress to wear to the princess dinner in Epcot.

Also, if anyone has been, we would love some restaurant recommendations (or any other activity or favorite rides to try to ride recommendations)

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Well, for princess, the easy go to is the fairy tale dress. Just choose Sofia purple.

I saw someone else use the sail boat pattern to create Mickey pants. Basically red with white piping and buttons. If you want it to be less costume-y, you could make the skirt instead of pants?

Some ideas for starters.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Jan (I forget her online nickname) did a splendid Snow White costume from, I think, the Puppet Show. I believe there’s a tutorial, let me see if I can dig it up. Sounds like it’ll be an amazing trip.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Yup: http://oliverands.com/blog/2012/05/customizing-with-oliver-s-snow-white-puppet-show-dress.html

Man, the tutorials section of this site is amazing. Have you folks looked at it lately? It’s changed from what I remember. The layout is fantastic and it makes me want to make a million things.

LINK
    Darcy Struble @darcyjane

I totally forgot about the Snow White costume! That would be great for the Princess lunch in Norway in Epcot. I love the Mickey Mouse pants idea too (or maybe shorts?? I think it’s pretty hot down there in September!) I remember seeing those in the flickr group, was that the Sail Boat Pants??

So here’s probably a really stupid question haha. If I used the general pattern pieces from the Fairy Tale Dress, leaving off the sleeves for the sleeveless option, and took the zipper off the back and did it in a knit, do you think that would work? I love that knits are not wrinkly 🙂 and I’m a very lazy women when it comes to ironing haha. I was thinking of doing a scalloped edge on the purple Sofia dress to look like her dress but without the weird little white design. Can that be done in knit? Actually, that was more than one probably stupid question 😛

LINK
    Jillls @Jillls

I made some princessy dresses for my girls using a peasant dress pattern. http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/58801344@N06/10258647486/ The weather in Florida is like a steam iron so wrinkles should not be an issue for whatever fabric you choose.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

What about using the field trip top or the new basic tee, I think will be released in March, since these are already sized and designed for knits. I made an Elsa dress from the hopscotch pattern, which is also designed for knits. http://www.flickr.com/photos/73669617@N07/12423162124/in/set-72157632121792098

LINK

Looking at pics of Sophia the first, it maybe easier to make the skirt from large overlapping petal shaped pieces of fabric over an overskirt. Don’t forget the outfits can also be shirts and skirts mimicking a dress.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Heidi, “the new basic tee??” Do you know something we don’t know???

😀

LINK

Cybele, I thought it was in the Easter thread but I can’t find it. I thought I saw that there was going to be a regular, not raglan, tee released soon. I’ll have another think about where I think I saw it and see it I can find the reference. But I could be wrong 🙁

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

Hahaha! …..”weather like a steam iron”

We live several hours north of Orlando. Yes, you are still going to feel quite warm in Sept. She might need a sweater for indoors or at night but the rest of the time…think summer. You can always throw in a pair of leggings in case you get a rare cool day. And, if you are here for 5 days expect rain at least once.

For the most part…the kids I’ve seen at disney in polyester princess dresses will all the fluff and sticky elastic always look miserably hot and uncomfortable. I would stick with natural fibers and comfortable. But, that still leaves you tons of options! 🙂 We took the kids several times last year and a polka dot seashore sundress or a polka dot pair of picnic shorts were what my 5 year old wore every time, and she was very comfy….but then she likes Minnie.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35277885@N06/8475588903/in/set-72157633081008677

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35277885@N06/8481812455/in/photostream/

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

I have used the Fairy Tale for a Cinderella : http://www.flickr.com/photos/52761227@N04/8129687197/in/set-72157631864648037

And the Puppet Show for a Minnie, Sailboat Skirt for a Mickey:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52761227@N04/10559915224/in/set-72157629912799930

I agree with Mcholley, you should use comfy fabric. I have also made things for a friend (Not O+S though) to go to Disneyland and always make sure it is a soft knit or a cotton.

P.S. Mc, your Minnie Seashore is still one of my favorite Disney themed outfits!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I’m about to start on a Brave dress for Kitty. She’s been asking and asking and asking. It’s awfully hard to find the right shade of peacock blue that Merida wears in the actual movie, so she has agreed to settle on navy. For Merida, I’m using linen for the dress and a crinkled cotton gauze for the shirt part. I didn’t find anything that was actually gold, so I settled for a beige color that looks nice with the blue and also resembles Merida’s dress from the movie. We took the DVD with us to Joann to compare everything. 🙂

I just bought the Simplicity pattern for Brave to make life easier. I have the Rapunzel one as well, since I’m sure that will be requested too. for the older princesses, McCalls has a pattern that copies Belle’s golden ball gown and I think Cinderella.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Yes, I’m here to confirm that there will be a basic T-shirt in the very near future. I just need a couple of warm days to melt away some snow for our outdoor photo shoot! This is getting ridiculous, actually. Another snow storm tomorrow. Photos are schedule for March 15 or 16, so keep your fingers crossed. We have lots of new patterns to release (in addition to the spring Oliver + S collection) and need some cooperative weather.

LINK
    Darcy Struble @darcyjane

Love this all… now I need to convince my husband to let us stay longer so I can make even more outfits haha.

I think it’s probably time I get the hopscotch pattern. I’ve been looking at it for so long 🙂 I love that Elsa dress. We just saw the movie and she loved it (she loves music and it had so much!).

I love the idea of a peasant dress for general outfits. Jillls, what pattern do you have? That would be a good thing to have in my repertoire.

Also, I would love an Oliver + S basic t shirt pattern although my Oliver + S pattern collection is starting to over flow out of it’s bin….. It’s a good problem.

Meleliza, that sounds like an awesome dress! Link pictures when you finish 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.