Oliver + S

difficulty blind hem stitching sleeve lining

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    beanniequilts @beanniequilts

I want to try to blind hem stitch my sleeve lining to sleeve with my machine. I have watched some videos and want to give it try. I just don’t understand where the majority of the stitching is suppose to be and where the little dots go? does that even make sense? I wondered if I just sewed from the inside over the topstitching and then you do see it from the outside ? but you don’t see the little dots because they are on the lining? I am so excited to finish this coat but I am trying to make myself take my time and do it right (not easy for me 🙂

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

What size sleeve are you making? I can see it being a little tricky to wrangle it all inside a tiny sleeve.

Have a peek at this image showing your work as you would sew it, from the inside/back side/reverse side of the fabric and see if it helps — the left side shows not enough of a fold, the middle too much, and the right side just right.

So the bulk of the stitching falls on the seam allowance or little flap of fabric — those longer points form the dots (or if you take a little bigger ‘bite’ of the main fabric, the dot looks like a little line).

http://new.husqvarnaviking.com/getattachment/ccbb0551-cf37-481b-acc7-fb26639a4b8b//Accessories/Adjustable-Blind-Hem-Foot.aspx

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

It may be easier to hand sew it if the opening is very small.

~Nicole~

LINK

Thank you for responding I am making a size 3 and I wouldn’t mind hand sewing. But what I still can’t wrap my brain around is how I am sewing the sleeve lining to the sleeve. My understanding (thought it is probably wrong) is that I am sewing the lining (folded under 1/2) to the inside of the sleeve and that it is going to cover the seam of where I already top stitched. Am I in the right ballpark and how do I do that? I think I understand it if I was just hemimng the sleeve but the lining is throwing me off. I am at the part right before it says finish the jacket (or something like that).

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

That sounds right to me.

LINK

Thank you. Someone (Elizabeth) was nice enough to send me pictures and I ended up hand stitching. On to the next step!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.