Oliver + S

Difference between Size 4 and 5 in Family Reunion?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LINK
    kgiff @kgiff

I’ve decided I want to attempt this for my daughter’s back to school dress. She’s currently a street size 4. Her chest and waist measurement puts her just of of the 3T on the sizing chart.

I’m debating buying the 6M-4 pattern (which will probably only get used this once) or getting the 5-12 pattern which will certainly get much more use.

The finished measurements don’t look that different between 4 and 5 (about 3/4″ in the chest and 1/2″ in the sleeves). I’m fairly new to sewing but I can handle adjusting the length of a dress or sleeves. Not sure about taking in the bodice if need be or if this style would look okay big.

Thanks in advance for any guidance/suggestions!

LINK
    Robin @Robin

I’d buy the bigger size. I like the things I sew to be slightly too big for my daughter. I want her to be able to wear what I make for as long as possible.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I second Robin. I would buy bigger. The FR is not a fitted dress, but an a-line. The only place it really needs to “fit” is in the shoulders/neckline, so it doesn’t fall off the shoulders or gap. Because it is a close fitting neck line, and not a scoop or V neck a little bigger won’t hurt the wearing of it. Plus the larger size may mean being able to wear a long sleeve shirt under it for colder/cooler climes.

LINK
    kgiff @kgiff

Perfect. Thanks ladies!

I’m so excited, I’ve been holding off on buying so many Oliver + S patterns because she’s on the verge of sizing out of one set and into the other.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I am normally all for buying ‘up’ but this one does seem to be a broader fit. I would wonder if you size up, if there may be an issue of being able to see down the front when she bends over?

Just my five cents worth 🙂

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I’m afraid I agree with Nicole, for this dress I would add any needed length to the smaller size. It does seem quite roomy and the neckline is quite generous and could be gapey on a little one.

My three and a half year old is outgrowing some of her size 3 Oliver + S dresses but wears the size 2 Family Reunion still and it looks great.

If you know you’ll use the bigger size range again, maybe try the 5 first (assuming it’s not super special fabric) and then only buy the smaller pattern if it’s obviously a next-years dress.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I third what Nicole says, I find this dress/top to be a bit wide in the shoulder area. You can always add length to the size 4 to make it fit longer, that’s what I do on this dress. I find it fits for a long time. My daughter is in the size 4 (But measures 3T for tops) O+S too and this is one pattern that still fits very well. I would buy the smaller.

LINK
    kgiff @kgiff

Thanks ladies! I appreciate the feedback. She’s not overly tall, so I’m not too worried about length. I’m still thinking on it and waiting for my fabric to come in…

LINK
    Rebecca W @craftalittle

I agree on the family reunion- I think you should buy the smaller version- and you might even want to make a 3 on this one.

I made a size 3 for my 6.5 year old 2 years ago (and added some length so she would get some wear out of it) and she is still wearing it. I just cut a size 4 for her to make a new one for her this summer.

I don’t have great pictures, but here is her 2 years ago (to the day!) https://www.flickr.com/photos/39449645@N06/7607099576/in/photostream/

and here she is last month in the same dress- https://www.flickr.com/photos/39449645@N06/14198017339/.

In the second photo, the sweater she is wearing is a size S (6-7) from Gap Kids.

In the second photo, she is standing next to my younger daughter who turns 4 in a month and she wears RTW shirts in a size 4 (I only buy t-shirts and sweaters, so that is the only RTW sizing I know. 🙂 ) I have a size 2 family reunion cut for her.

If you would like, I can put the little one in the size 3 FR and take a picture (and give you measurements of her self) and see if that helps you in your decision making.

LINK
    kgiff @kgiff

Rebecca, this is extremely useful! What are your younger daughter’s measurements if you have a size 2 cut for her? It’s hard to tell, but she looks to be about the same size/proportions as my daughter (who will be 4 in just over a month). Thank you!

LINK
    Rebecca W @craftalittle

I am not sure that I measure correctly, but she is 20.5 in in her chest and she is about 38.5 in tall. Here is a picture of her in the size 3 (with some extra length, but I don’t remember how much)-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/39449645@N06/14714167111/

I just did the math and realized that I made the size 3 for the older one when she was about 4.5, so I hope I don’t regret the size 2 for the little one! Although, I guess I will probably still get plenty of wear out of it, just not 2 years!

LINK
    kgiff @kgiff

Thank you so much! DD is I think 21 in the chest and 38 inches tall, so they’re very close, and I’m thinking the 3 might work. I definitely need to buy the smaller pattern size. Again, thank you this helps a whole bunch!

LINK
    EmilyG @EmilyG

I am going to agree with Nicole and others here. I find the Family Reunion dress to run a bit big and the front could gape a bit. You could buy the 5, but I find it fits more like a six. My daughter usually wears a five in all O and S. In this one she can wear a 4 with length added. That chest measurement is going to be key because otherwise the neck opening could end up quite wide.

LINK
    Rebecca W @craftalittle

You’re welcome! I’m glad I could help!

I forgot to mention- I measure my older daughter too- she is 21.5 in the chest. And she still fits into the 3 comfortably.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.