Oliver + S

cup sizes

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    Cherry @Hazel

I would like to know the cup size that the cinema dress is designed for. I am new to doing full bust adjustments and all the tops I have made since taking up sewing again have needed an adjustment to fit properly.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

@hazel hello, the short answer is B cup. The longer, and very well written answer is in this blog post:

finding your correct pattern size

It details how to find the right size for your shoulders, and then adjust the bust accordingly.
    Hope that helps.

LINK
    Cherry @Hazel

Hi
    Thanks for the fast response. Yes the adjustments I have made have been based on my high bust measurement which is a US 14 (I’m in the UK). Then there is 4 inch difference between my high and full bust so knowing the cup size the pattern is designed on helps. Some indie designers are using a bigger cup size so it is not always obvious unless stated somewhere on the pattern envelope.
    I love the look of the Cinema dress but I can’t see how an fba will work with the yoke. Has anyone posted about this to your knowledge?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Hi @hazel , I did a FBA on the Late Lunch tunic, there a some pics here http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2014/09/fba-all-way.html which may help you visualise the adjustment to the Cinema dress.

Sorry not to be more help.

~Nicole~

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I thought I had step by step photos of this, but can’t seem to find them. I think Patricia (whose screen name I’ve forgotten, sorry!) has a pic of the Cinema side panel pattern piece, where the adjustment happens, slashed and spread.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

@vothgirl ? 👆

LINK
    Cherry @Hazel

Thank you all for responses, so helpful. I have checked them all out and found a photo set on the first sewalong Liesl wrote on this dress last year. Based on all advice I’ve now ordered the pattern and will make a muslin but use the swedish paper to trace first. I think this will make a lovely dress for autumn (fall)!

LINK
    vothgirl @vothgirl

@lightningmcstitch yes I do have a pic! @hazel I’ll attach it below. Liesl’s instructions made it so very easy!

I’m actually in the position of needing to alter that lovely eggplant chambray cinema dress I made because it is too loose, what would be the easiest way to size it down? Just pinch in at the sides?

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by vothgirl.
    Attachments:
    LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I would think so, but I’m not an expert fitter — @motherof5?

LINK
    Cherry @Hazel

Thank you for the photo. I love your choice of fabric for your dress. It depends how much too loose it is. You could try tacking the side seams in by the amount you need and see how it looks but if you have a smaller bust size you might need a more radical alteration.

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

Liesl’s FBA instructions are top notch. I was leery of trying it when I first started sewing for myself, but I shouldn’t have been.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

There are some good seams to take it in by @vothgirl. A little from each would give you the best result.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.