Oliver + S

Craft Calculator

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    Jane @jesims

I know the topic has been discussed here before about how to charge someone for sewing a garment. Now someone has taken the mystery out of the math with this cool Craft Calculator: http://craftscalculator.com

I get asked frequently why I don’t sell on Etsy, etc. maybe I will use this tool as a perfect reason why I do not. It is pretty eye opening.

Jane

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Wow, that’s great. I tried it with the lowest settings (10% profit, novice skill level) and conservative time and cost estimates (10 hours to prep, dye, cut, sew, trace — and $35 for pattern, fabric, dye, buttons, needles, thread) and it suggested $75! Yowza!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Can you get that as an app-thingy? You could show people that ask you the question.

I used to sew for others but I charged like a wounded bull.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Haha, Nicole, that’s a great expression!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

If you click the above link Nicole it will tell you you can purchase it on either ITunes or google play.

Looks interesting but I don’t sew for others and charge!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Yes, I think that was jesims’ point.

LINK
    Little_Anj @Little_Anj

Wow that’s nuts!!!

Clearly I undercharge per hour!! 🙂

I have made a spreadsheet (just ’cause I like making them) to calculate what it would cost to sell.

Whenever I do sell (to friends who demand to pay), it’s just at cost of materials so not $103!! More like $23 🙂

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

If only the folks who run my kid’s school provided free labor! Well, I suppose if they did I’d be buying more fabric.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Fascinating. It seems on par with what I’ve been quoting for custom work.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.