Oliver + S

corduroy & school days jacket

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    rachel @rachel

i would like to make the school days jacket in corduroy for my daughter. however, i remember someone telling me once you have to be careful when cutting corduroy because it can look funny if you cut it wrong. as long as i cut the pieces according to the pattern, will i be fine? or is there something else that i need to be mindful of when cutting corduroy fabric?

thanks in advance!

rachel

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

If I recall correctly, corduroy has a one-way nap. You should be able to feel it — I think you want to make sure all the pieces are going the same direction. Some other folks here have made jackets in corduroy before, I’m sure they’ll be along shortly with sound advice.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Your right Sarvi, I think it is smooth down , rough up, thats what I do ! Liesl ? April?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Yes, the generally principle for corduroy is smooth down, rough up. It wears better that way. But it’s really a personal choice–people occasionally cut it the opposite direction to get a richer color. It’s harder on the nap and will wear out faster, but it does give a more luxurious appearance because it doesn’t have so much sheen.

No matter which way you cut it, be sure all the grain arrows point the same direction and you’ll be fine. Should be cute!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Oooooh , I am going to try reversing it , sounds fabulous!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.