Oliver + S

Collar and Sleeve Cuffs – bias cut

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    badskirt @badskirt

I’m working my way through the school photo dress and I’m up to the collar and sleeve cuffs. Being lazy, I haven’t actually cut out these pieces yet. I noticed they are both cut on the bias.

I was hoping to use either a honeycomb or a direction print on these pieces. I’m wondering structurally and drape-wise what I’d miss out on by cutting along the grain instead of the bias.

Thanks!

LINK
    badskirt @badskirt

While I’m asking questions about the sleeve cuff I also want to ask about “Attaching the sleeve cuff (view A) step 3. The directions say to sew the sleeve cuff with right sides together. I assumed that I actually needed wrong side to right side to match the picture. Then I needed to fold the cuff towards the right side of the sleeve at step 4 instead of towards the wrong side.

Is the image on step 3 maybe wrong? If they were sewn with right sides facing, the seam would be on the inside of the tube. Or are the directions in step 3 and 4 wrong? Or am I just utterly confused. Either way, I’ve succesfully put a cuff on. I just wasn’t sure which way was “proper”

Still curious on bias too. Thanks!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

We cut the collar and cuffs on bias to give them a little more drape and to change the direction of the fabric for a little extra visual interest. You can absolutely cut them on the straight grain, too.

Just running out the door to teach this dress today, so I’ll check the instructions and get back to you on the cuff. Thanks for asking/pointing it out!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Hi again,

I checked the instructions and everything is ok. Sew the cuff to the sleeve with right sides together like it shows in the illustration at step 3, and then you’ll fold the edge of the cuff toward the inside and finish it by stitching in the ditch from the right side. You can sew it the other way too, attaching it to the wrong side of the sleeve first, and then edgestitching the creased edge to the right side to finish it. Either way will work fine.

LINK
    badskirt @badskirt

I get it now. Thank you.

I looked at the photo and thought that is was after the cuff had been opened up. I mistook the folded edge of the cuff as the seam after the fold. I understand now the picture is before you sew the cuff on.

Hopefully my misunderstanding helps someone else.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I did it the second way that Liesl suggested, but I like top stitching.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.