Oliver + S

class ideas?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Hey everyone,

I’ve been asked by the Smocking Guild to teach three different classes at their national convention in Orlando, Florida, next fall. Each class will be three hours long, and I’m tentatively planning to teach the smocked necklace and an introduction to pattern alteration. I need one more class: preferably a project that can be more-or-less completed in that three-hour period. Or otherwise a technique workshop that can be taught in three hours. Any thoughts or ideas? What would you want me to teach you?

And is anyone in the area who might want to come? It’s next September.

LINK
    Deb @Mynorth

I was a member of SAGA for years (not now though) and have taken classes at their convention. The best class I took had to do with adding details to an outfit.

The details on your patterns such as hem facings, interesting pocket designs, cuffs (i.e. on Puppet Show) just to name a few, I think would make for an interesting and innovative class.

(Note: the woman who taught the class had a deep southern accent and when she said “next we’ll do hems”, I thought she was saying “hymns!”)

~Deb~

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I love that idea, Deb! Thanks so much. If one class covers adding details and another class covers altering a pattern, we could cover a lot of ground! I’m picturing Playtime dresses and tunics with lots of variations. Or maybe the Roller Skate dress!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Sounds like fun! SAGA is a great organisation to be involved with. So many talented ladies within this group. I will be the fly on the wall when you do your classes Liesl.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

They seem wonderful, and I’m sure it will be fun. But don’t be a fly on the wall–join us! I’d love to meet you.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh Liesl I would love to, yet I am in Australia! Any plans to come down under?

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I love the idea of a details/embellishment class. I have a book that is just A-line dresses with small changes and embellishments. Although I haven’t made a whole project from the book it has been fantastic For inspiration and technique.

Another option might be closures, zippers, buttons, buttonholes, invisible zippers, where to put them etc. As many people seem to find these intimidating.

Have fun whatever you choose!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I think most smockers love detail, so I think a technique class sounds like a great idea, especially ways to use smocking that aren’t so traditional. The necklace one is a great idea. What about how to add smocking to your patterns? Like the way you did for the Black Lisette blouse? Or the way you did things in that spread for sew beautiful magazine? Or even a talk about how the high end designers are using smocking on the runway?

I will not be near Florida in September or I’d love to go. I would travel to NYC for a class with you though. And there’s a new and fancy sewing studio here in Philly run by a costumier from the Opera. It’s called Made Philadelphia. They have a beautiful space that’s easily accessible.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I think you’re all starting to read my mind! Yes, we’ve (or I’ve) been talking about a trip to Australia. My best friend (mother of the REAL Oliver) lives in Sydney, so a trip is in order soon. And yes to how smocking is used on the runway–I’m proposing that as my lecture.

With regard to teaching a workshop in NYC, that is certainly on the table for discussion. My suspicion is that people on the east coast won’t congregate for workshops. So I’ll put it out there. How many of you would be seriously interested in coming to NYC for an intensive workshop? I’m thinking something pattern-making or fit related. I think we’d want about 8 people to make it realistic, and I would do everything I could to hold it in our studio, just because I suspect many of you would get a kick out of working at “headquarters.” We’d need to find a way to make it work, but if enough people are interested I’d absolutely be willing to do it.

I’ve hesitated so far because I’m a little skeptical that people would travel for it. Thoughts?

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Are you kidding Liesl! I would travel from Vancouver. But not until 2015. I need time to save my pennies. Sadly the 2014 pennies have already been allocated. It just occured to me that we don’t have pennies in Canada anymore. Perhaps the saving will go faster with nickels.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

No pennies! I had forgotten about that. Yes, start with nickels then. And I would LOVE it if you would come, Robin!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’m in the same boat as Robin, already looks like I might have to cancel my February visit to NY. School fees are killing us, but 2015 might be possible.

LINK
    scgoble @scgoble

I would come to a NYC workshop, definitely. Maybe you could take us on a field trip to go fabric shopping?! 🙂 I would be tickled pink to attend.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Please come to Australia! But give us some time to save as it is not a small or cheap country to travel across!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Yes please please come to Australia! But I implore please not in May/June or October/November as due to work/farming schedules and commitments I cannot move from the place. Come take advantage of our beautiful sunny summer weather. Having said that though, if you decide to come to Sydney I will be there, from the west with bells on – and I will bring the family!

I’ll start saving up now!

Oh how exciting!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.