Oliver + S

change doll dress to doll pantsuit?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    sosew @sosew

Wondering if anyone has tried to make this change and has tips to share?

I am almost done sewing one of the doll dresses for a little birthday gift and love how fast and cute it came together.

I’d like to experiment with a version like the playsuit for my boys (not that they cant have dresses for their doll, but i thought it would be fun for them to have something that matches their own clothes). Im thinking I can just keep the top portion the same length/shape and make a simple shorts to replace the skirt.

Has anyone tried this? I’m wondering if it would be harder to fit on the doll because shorts would be more constricting than a skirt. Anything else I should lookout for?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

What kind of doll is it? I’m wondering how the legs/waist might be articulated, or not. If it’s a doll that moves like a teddy bear, for example, I think your plan would be fine because they seem a little easier to manipulate. If it’s a plastic doll that’s a bit stiff you might want to make them a bit higher-waisted so they don’t get pulled off/pulled down when the doll’s legs bend. Just a thought, I’m afraid I don’t have have a ton of experience in this area!

LINK
    sosew @sosew

Thats a good point, its a doll with soft legs (fabric) so it should be possible to fit.

I wasn’t very clear, I wouldnt make seperate shorts, but rather make a playsuit with the shorts connected to the top, just like in the real kid sized version of this pattern that has a dress and a playsuit option.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I think it would look cute!

If you use some dolly pants as a guide and you could always ease the shorts to fit the top. I would cut the shorts in four pieces like the original is and perhaps err on the side of length in the body.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I’ve made an all in one for a doll before for one of the boys I sew for. Here’s the link http://www.susankramer.com/dolls10b.html , the patterns right at the bottom. Maybe you could use the bottom of the pattern and use the bodice piece to round the top peice, or if you have a dress half done trace the top of the dress piece to make the curve. This pattern fits a Baby Born dolls and I expect an America Girl doll. If you need to you could lengthen the legs as well.

Good luck, would love to see it when it’s done, and your final pattern pieces! 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.