Oliver + S

Buttons: Type and size?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Adrienne @Adrienne

Here’s a questions for you experts! I have a bag of buttons that I got at Wal-Mart labeled “Favorite Findings”….it’s just a bag of random sized buttons. Can I use those on the Music Box Jumper that I want to make? The package says it can be sewn on….but they look more like craft stuff to me. Is there a difference between buttons? Is a button a button? (Then again, I’m very new to this!)

Also, I need 1/2″ buttons but the package does not list the sizes included. To measure a button, do you just put it down on the tape measure and if it fits within the 1/2″ mark it’s a 1/2″ button?

Thanks in advance for your help! I’ve been reading the posts on here to help with other projects that I’ve done. You guys are a priceless resource!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

A half inch button is half an inch across, I believe. You don’t *have* to use half inch buttons, I just use whichever buttons I think look nicest and then make the buttonholes to match. I think you can use pretty much anything as a button as long as it will stand up to the way you want to launder it. Maybe sew a few to a scrap and run it through the wash, see if any paint or dye rubs or flakes off?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Craft buttons can be really dodgey,they crack and the colour can fade.

By all means have a go,but I have had some huge disappointments with gorgeous button that didn’t look so flash after a few washes.

LINK
    Rpankow @excytin

Adrienne:

I’ve use some of those favorite findings buttons, actually that’s mostly what I have since we only have a walmart in town as a place to get buttons. I’ve used the regular looking buttons and haven’t had a problem at all. I haven’t used any of the novelty type buttons for garments so I have no comment on that. I too have used whatever sized buttons I have on hand, as long as they don’t stray too far off from the original size. I love my automatic button hole foot! I feel confident no matter what size of button I use the results will be nice. Good Luck!

Rebecca

LINK
    Adrienne @Adrienne

Thanks for all of the tips! I really appreciate all of the advice!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.