Oliver + S

Button holes on satin?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I am making a pair of the Sleepover pj’s for my daughter and I am using pink satin as fabric B. I was wondering if button holes would work on the satin or should I use snaps in stead? Any advice or tips would be great!

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Gosh, MK, that’s a tricky one. I guess what you are trying to avoid is puckering the button holes when making them, or worse them tearing as pj’s are worn/washed. Snaps (or press studs, as Aussies call them) would be good for obvious reasons but I would recommend interfacing the button panels as you would if you were buttonholing so the snaps don’t eat into the satin. SP is going to feel very glamorous, isn’t she? So glad to hear that the little prince is feeling better; hope you are getting some catch up sleep.

Good luck with preps – pjs and sweetmeats- for G’s birthday. I hope he has a great day – well as good as he can on a school day. Can heartily recommend Ice Cream dress to sew (no button holes for starters); I’ve seen some lovely pinwale cord on an Aus site (and despite it’s forecast to be 40C tomorrow) I’m thinking how nice the IC dress would look in corduroy. Because it’s roomy, shouldn’t be too much problem with it gripping tights etc. Lining is always an option, too. Have a good week.

Fiona

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I haven’t made button holes in satin (or added snaps), but I would interface where the buttons and buttonholes are going to go. if you haven;t added fabric B you may be able to hide it between the two fabrics. I have to be honest though, unless it’s a really special out fit I tend to add snaps to everything instead of buttons as I have a snap press and it takes almost no time to add them, i would also add a little interfacing for the snaps too.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

What ever I sew,I always keep some scraps and interface them to test buttonholes and stitching.

I do find when I am sewing a puckering prone fabric a little firm handling and keeping the fabric tight can help.

LINK
    teresacoates @teresacoates

Could you use a stabilizer for the button holes, then tear away the excess? It seems like that should help to keep it from puckering and wouldn’t change the look of it in the end.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.